1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen on laptop after power outage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ochjk, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ochjk

Ochjk Thread Starter

Hi we have a compaq laptop that is about 5 years old. It's a basic laptop and was quite inexpensive when we purchased it. I think it was like $300-$400. Anyway, we had a power outage and now the screen is blank (black to be specific). When I turned it on the lites flash and it sounds like its running, but nothing, I mean nothing shows up on screen. My question is what could be wrong? Would it be worth paying someone to fix it? Do you think I lost the pictures downloaded on the laptop? That's the only data I care about recovering! Thx in advance for your thoughts.

2. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

You mean your whole house had a powercut? Could be a powersurge that's fried it.
    Your photos and data is recoverable- I advise you to go to your local PC repair shop and get them to make a backup of your data because you don't sound as if you would understand how to remove your hard drive from your laptop and put it into a USB caddy...
    Anyways... a new laptop is adviseable.

3. Ochjk

Ochjk Thread Starter

Yes the whole house lost power. We're in the Seattle area:). Darn Ice Storm. Thx

4. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

Then shall I suggest you complain to your electricity company that the power outage broke your laptop? Or insurance company if they won't listen.

5. Ochjk

Ochjk Thread Starter

Thx. It's not worth filing a claim with insurance because it's the only thing damaged from the power outage. Thx again. I'm just happy I will be able to get the pics back:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037742