Black Screen on Start-Up

MitchyGee

Good day all

TL;DR -I tried to fix a freeze at my BIOSprompt with ctrl+alt+delete, my PC only gives me a black screen now. (please read my full post to properly understand whats went wrong, thanks)

Specs:
Motherboard - ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
CPU - Intel i5 10600k
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2x 16
SSDx2 - Kingston SH 103S3240G - (one of which is my OS storage)
HDD - Bipra 1TB 2.5 inch 5400 RPM SATA 2
PSU - Corsair RM 750x fully modular
GPU - ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 ti
OS - Windows 10

All items are only 3 months old with the exception of my memory drives, the SSD's being 7 years and approx 6 years old, my HDD being one year old

Event
Today I turned on my PC and at the BIOS prompt screen the PC froze. In response I tried to access the BIOS, (previously my PC froze at the lock screen for Windows and I turned off the machine to turn on again. Unfortunately that corrupted my OS and I had to reinstall it so I was eager to avoid that) yet nothing happened so I tried other key prompts to get a reaction out of my machine. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete at which point the screen went black the PC restarted and upon restart, I was greeted instantly with a black screen and no options of any kind.
I checked the motherboard LEDs and the BOOT LED was on constantly, this communicated to me that there were no bootable drives detected(I could be wrong). I checked the plugs of the memory drives all seemed well. I checked the interwebs quickly and the only thing I found was that I should be able to access the BIOS but because I had a GPU it was interfering with the outputs to my monitor, so I changed the plugging arrangements, still nothing.
I am majorly confused and concerned as I believe that even if my drives are all fried I should at least be able to access the BIOS as should it not be separate from the OS etc? Yet I cant

Thanks for your time!

It maybe a RAM or CPU problem. CPU's don't die in most cases. So I would try different ram sticks, one at a time. And if you have an on motherboard video chip, unplug the GPU.

MitchyGee

It maybe a RAM or CPU problem. CPU's don't die in most cases. So I would try different ram sticks, one at a time. And if you have an on motherboard video chip, unplug the GPU.
The stuff is all new except the memory drives. I don't have any spare memory sticks to hand would replacing them be the only way to troubleshoot that issue?

If you can' get past the bios screen, it would seem like a ram problem to me, if you can't see the bios logo. If you have another PC, you can take 1 stick out of there and use it to test this theory. With hardware problems, you swap out the part with a known good working part and test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online