1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen on start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by colin-java, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colin-java

colin-java Thread Starter

Hi, I recently rebuilt my new pc putting in new psu (old one died) and watercooling, I temporarily put the hdd in a pentium 4 whilst the new pc was out of use.

When I put the hdd back into new pc and started up, the screen was black, and remained black until I was in xp and my desktop was visible.

I tried resetting bios, and this appeared to work at first as I saw the logo on boot up, and the windows screen with moving bar came on as well as the blue welcome screen. But now I don't see anything at all until I see the desktop.

The monitor light also flashes on and off a few times during start up.

My pc specs are:

Biostar TPower I45 motherboard
    Intel E8600 core 2 duo (2 x 3.33GHz) o.c'd to 3.6GHz
    Radeon HD 4870 1GB Sonic Dual Edition graphics card
    4GB DDR2 1066 ram
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Corsair H50 CPU Watercooler
    NZXT hush case (Black)
    Maxtor 250GB hard drive
    LG dvd/cd writer
    LG W2243S monitor (22 inch widescreen)
    Wireless Mouse (logitech)
    Wireless Router (belkin)
    Wireless Headphones (Philips)

Also, I tried uninstalling then installing my graphics card drivers and associated software (like ATI catalyst control centre) as well as the monitor software.

But this doesn't seem to have helped, and sometimes on start up, the catalyst control center says there was a problem, but its not clear what it was, it gives a load of codes and stuff.

I think I need to try computer with a different monitor, but I can't do that until I can borrow one.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice