1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen on startup after updating Windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eddiebrock, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eddiebrock

eddiebrock Thread Starter

I had the little icon on the bottom right of the screen (like where the clock is) that kept telling me install updates or they needed to be installed or something, so I finally went and installed them. When it finished it said Windows needs to be restarted.

When it started up again it shows the hard drive, processor, memory info, etc. and then says "Windows XP", after that the screen turns completely black, except for small "Logging in" windows that appears for one second, and then everything is completely black. I can hear the hard drive running, but I can't see anything at all, except I can move the arrow around.

I tried starting with last known good configuration and it didn't work, and then tried starting in safe mode. When I start in safe mode I can see the words safe mode written in white on the corners of the screen, but nothing else.

What in the world am I supposed to try now?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. eddiebrock

eddiebrock Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. Everyone else I asked just said to format it, but I didn't want to lose my data. After doing the repair install it ran really slowly, but when I downloaded new drivers it started working normally again. You saved me a lot of time and headaches.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great news, thanks for comeback and glad it worked for you!

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Well done Rich the Younger . . [​IMG]

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thank you Rich my Senior?

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Elder . . I prefer the word Elder . . .

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I stand corrected!!! Rich the Elder!

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Much better . . sounds more statesmanish . .

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice