1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen on startup Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sparkle1702, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sparkle1702

Sparkle1702 Thread Starter

Following an unsuccessful attempt to install Adobe flash player (I'm not saying that caused the problem, it might be completely unrelated, but anyhow ...) when I start up I get the 'welcome' screen and then a permanent black screen with a cursor. I can get round this with the task manager but I'd rather it started up correctly in the first place. Any ideas, please?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Explain what you do to go from a permanent black screen with cursor to the Windows 7 desktop.

3. Sparkle1702

I press 'ctrl, alt, del' which brings up some options, then open task manager, highlight 'explorer.exe' and click on 'end process'. Then click on file, and type in 'explorer.exe' then click on 'new task (run...)'. So okay the black screen isn't actually permanent because I do get rid of it, but I have to do this manually, it doesn't automatically go to the desktop.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are thinking that a Flash Plugin failure to install is related, go into Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Flash and see what happens.

5. Sparkle1702

Flash player never actually completed the installation, Lunarlander, and there is no program associated with it in the program folder, but thanks for the suggestion.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. Turn2

Turn2

I highly recommend that you do not run any software on your computer that is marketed as a "registry cleaner". Yes, even CCleaner ( note: i'm only referring to the regclean portion of ccleaner).

Your best bet is to just run a system restore to when the issue was not occurring. However, have you been able to test the issue while in safe mode or in a clean boot?

You can start a clean boot of your PC by opening up "msconfig.exe". On the "general" tab select "selective startup". Uncheck startup items.

Clean Boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

If clean boot still does not display explorer.exe normally try a safe mode boot.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

If booting into either safe mode or clean boot resolves the problem, then your system is being affected by some item that starts in the normal Windows environment. If booting into safe mode or clean boot shows the same error you should run the system restore.

If system restore for whatever reason doesn't work please run a "sfc /scannow" in command prompt.

8. Sparkle1702

Thanks everyone. Have now got round the adobe problem by giving in and installing Chrome. Am now going to try suggestions here to get rid of the blank screen on startup.

9. Sparkle1702

Have now tried this, (I was carrying out steps 1 - 4 every time anyway) but still starting with a blank screen. Not the end of the world, it's just irritating :-(.

10. Turn2

Turn2

I doubt that the issue would be related to updating your Display driver as the issues is related to your windows processes. Can you try the steps I posted in my response above. Let me know if anything works or not.

11. Sparkle1702

I've followed all those steps, Turn2, finishing with the sfc/scannow, which resulted in the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". I still have the black screen on startup.

12. Turn2

Turn2

What happened when you booted into safe mode? Did the issue remain? Also, have you managed to run a system restore?

13. Sparkle1702

In safe mode the issue does not appear, the screen goes to the desktop screen. System restore doesn't complete.

14. ttifrum

ttifrum

I had a similar problem on three machines that came into my shop, they all had some form of malware infection. I suggest you ask for this to be transferred to the malware removal group where someone qualified will guide you through cleaning your machine up.You might also find that the Flash update you were trying to install was a false notification anyway, was it in a webpage that you saw it or was it a small rectangular box that appeared when you logged into your machine?

15. Sparkle1702

Thanks, ttifrum; i'll transfer this to the group you suggested. I attempted the flash player download from the adobe web page.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice