1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen on Thinkpad 600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weezie12, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I have a Thinkpad 600 which had Windows 98 SE on it, with a 6.4GB hard drive. I wanted to upgrade to XP, nad everything was going along fine. Then the computer stopped responding, so I re-started it. Now after the Thinkpad startup screen, all I get is a black screen with a white cursor(?) in the upper left hand corner. And I cannot go any further. Any ideas on what I can do. Thanks in advance.

2. sammysosa

sammysosa

Are you doing a fresh install of XP, or an "upgrade" on top of an existing Win9.x installation? This has always been problematic for me; XP over Win9.x just isn't worth the aggravation, IMO. Let us know if this is a clean install of XP, or an "upgrade" on top of Win9.x, and we'll be able to better advise you.

Recovering from this type of problem can be a real nightmare, so don't say you weren't warned. I don't know what your skill level is, but unless you're familiar with working from the command line, you might want to consider wiping the drive clean, and starting over from scratch. I hope you remembered to back up your data before you started this process...

3. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I was doing an upgrade. from Windows 98SE to XP. I would be happy to go back with '98. No problem. I just don't know how to do it. Thank you.

4. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I can't get to the command prompt. No matter what key I hold down, none of them work, Just the black screen with the little cursor.

5. sammysosa

sammysosa

You're basically hosed; you'll need to use a Win9.x / WinME bootdisk to get to a command prompt, and work from there. Right now (as you've already discovered), your system is unbootable by itself.

FWIW, the WinME bootdisk is a better option for LARGE harddrives, but since you don't have one, a Win98SE bootdisk will do the trick. If you have a bootable CD, that should work, and you can avoid a floppy disk completely. You'll need to enter the CMOS settings and tell the system to boot directly from the CD-ROM drive...

The website onecomputerguy.com is owned and operated by one of the most prominent members here (Bob Cerelli); you can learn a LOT about how to get your system working again from him without a lot of heartburn, so I hope you'll do a little browsing there.

My time is severely limited right now; wish I could help you more, but that website should help you get the ball rolling...

6. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I cannot get to Safe Mode. The computer won't boot from floppy. I have floppy, cd rom then hard drive set. I can't get to a commmand prompt. Is this hard drive a paper weight? Thanks.

7. norton850

norton850

If it won't boot from anything then the problem just isn't the hard drive. What happens when you try to boot from the floppy?

8. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I get a message stating invalid disk or something like that. Then remove any disks and press any key to restart.

9. norton850

norton850

10. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I have tried a Windows 98SE and a XP boot disk. Also a Windows ME one. It seems like the hard drive is caught beyween two operating systems, if that is possible. All I get is a black screen with a white cursor in the upper left hand corner. Thanks.

11. norton850

norton850

"It seems like the hard drive is caught beyween two operating systems"

Not sure what you mean by this. If you have a boot floppy it should at least get you to an A: prompt. Don't even need a hard drive for that. So what happens with the floppy is it just ignored?

12. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I just get the message that says to remove any disks and press any key.

13. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

With Windows 2000 message is NTLDR is missing Windows 98SE Remove disks or any other media. Press any key to restart. With Windows ME non system disk or disk error. With Windows XP nothing happens.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice