1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen only works in safe mode

Discussion in 'Games' started by emtb1993, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

First im sorry that i cant run your sys info program im in safe mode and it wont let me run it. I have hooked my HP pavillion 6000 using 2 amd core II processers, and a raedon 3600 graphics card from ati. I can get more info later if you need it. I have hooked my PC to my Sansui 40" HDLCD tv to use as my monitor. it works for a time and works great then at random intervals sometimes 2 hours sometimes a week the image goes black. this is not sleep mode i have fixed all the settings for this occurance, i have tried to update the driver from ati but the pc is having trouble installling the software. when the screen goes black it will only work in safe mode. I can restore the pc to a previous version a few days prior and it works for a time but the same problem occurs please help i like using my pc like this and would like it to work properly.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if your HP Pavilion 6000 series computer is a desktop or a laptop/notebook.

If you don't know for sure what the model number of it is, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

Thank you for responding. First it is a desktop. Model number p6523w. Product no. Bk456aa#aba. Also if you have the specs available will a DIAMOND AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 PCIE 2GB GDDR3 Video Graphics Card kill my system or can I upgrade to something like this without needing to upgrade anything else like the power supply?

Here are the specs for the GPU.

INTERFACE: PCI Express x16
    GPU: 6670
    CORE CLOCK: 800 MHz
    MEMORY CLOCK: 600 MHz
    MEMORY CONFIGURATION: 64M x 32
    MEMORY TYPE: GDDR3
    MEMORY BANDWIDTH: 64.0 GB/s
    MEMORY SIZE: 2048MB
    MEMORY CONTROLLER INTERFACE: 128 bit
    PORTS: Dual-Link DVI,HDMI,VGA
    DUAL LINK DVI: Yes

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion p6523w desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it comes with integrated AMD graphics and a 250 watt power supply.

If you've added an AMD Radeon HD 6670 PCI-E 2GB GDDR3 video card to it, you definitely need to upgrade to a higher wattage power supply.

You're lucky the computer is starting and the display is working with the current power supply.

From what I can determine, that video card requires a 500 watt or higher power supply.

------------------------------------------------

5. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

I haven't upgraded yet I am thinking about it. Do you have any suggestions for me as to a good pnp graphics card that is an upgrade to what I currently have?

6. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

I did discover that if I don't play my game star wars the old republic it doesn't go black. It asks to make changes to the pc and I just thought it meant to automatically update. Will an updated graphics card help with this issue?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Gaming will put more of a load on the power supply and graphics.

I'm not a gamer nor a hardware expert, so you might consider clicking the "Report" link and then requesting to have your thread moved to the "NETWORKING" or "GAMES" section.

-----------------------------------------------------------

8. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for your input.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

Good luck. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------

10. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

Can anyone help with this thread?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  12. emtb1993

emtb1993 Thread Starter

My problem isn't an underpowered supply. The problem is that when I play Star Wars: the old republic within two hours the screen turns black. The pc still works the sound is there but the image is not. I can restart and the first image is there but when the startup screen goes away it turns back to black. I can restart it in safe and mode and it works. However in order to make it work again I need to system restore a few days back. Please help.

13. black-wolf

black-wolf

Power supply, power supply... You will be hard pressed to get worse power supply than what comes in an HP. No, you cannot upgrade anything without upgrading the power supply in an HP.
    It is definitely the first thing that I would look at, and it can cause the problem that you are having.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice