1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen to just background...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GavinB1025, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GavinB1025

GavinB1025 Thread Starter

Hey guys. Yesterday I recieved a new montior. I was so excited to see it in action in csgo. I had not plugged it in yet. Windows was acting very slow. I then plugged my new monitor in and hopped on csgo. No performance issues just pure amazing fun. I got off and played with it on my ps4. I get back on and all I have is a black screen. I try every video and nothing worked. I had unplugged my new monitor and everything. I followed this german guy and in the video he told me to type all this stuff into my command prompt and restart your computer. I did so and i got in to my desktop and all i saw was my backround. I reinstalled windows from their since i still couldnt do anything and deleted my old partitions and everything. I got into my desktop and reinstall all the drivers the women in the alienware video had told me to do as i have an alienware. I restarted my computer to finish installing the drivers. Now i get back on and now it still only shows my desktop backround again.. I did all that explorer.exe crap and same result. I went into my regedit and deleted something as someone on a thread recomended. It did nothing.,im still stuck with my desktop backround and i really need someones help.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what is wrong...do you mean you can SEE the windows desktop on your monitor but there's no icons or anything?

Can you NOT see anything on the screen??

FWIW, deleting registry keys is NOT recommended ...you can cause damage to the windows operating system if you do not fully understand what you are doing.

What's the make and model number of your computer? If its a custom built one can you provide info on its internal devices such as:

Motherboard
    Graphics card
    Hard drive
    Windows version 32 or 64 bit
    Make and model of power supply

3. GavinB1025

Well at first I had a blackscreen but then as a began to try to fix my issue it showed my desktop with no icons. If I press Ctrl alt delete it turns black but I can just press escape to see my desktop with no icons. I have an alienware computer and the only specs I know is GTX 760Ti OEM i7 4770k 8gb of ram and 64 bit windows 7. Also what would you recommend I do about the file I deleted in the registry? Thanks for helping me on my thread!

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Try opening an ELEVATED command prompt and type in at the prompt

SFC /SCANNOW

Press enter

5. GavinB1025

Im at school right now, I'll try it when I get home. Thanks!

6. GavinB1025

Here

Attached Files:

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I forgot toention above of you right click on the desktop, what options do you see under View? There should be one to "show desktop icons"

8. GavinB1025

I cannot see a task bar or see the control alt delete menu. Nor can I press the windows key to open the menu.

9. GavinB1025

Do you recomend deleting ALL of my partitions when reinstalling windows?

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I always have deleted them all. Then I think it will make automatically a sys reserved partition for cache. Am I to assume you are going to do a fresh install?

11. GavinB1025

Yes

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Have you installed windows yet?

13. GavinB1025

I have been busy I will tommorrow

14. GavinB1025

Hey man, its been awhile since i've got back to you on my issue. My thinking it is a hardware issue because I still have the backround with no icons. But I do have another thing that might be a problem. When I reinstalled windows everything worked fine but once I install my alienware drivers, my intel, and my gpu drivers, thats when it starts to do this issue.

15. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi there wasn't sure if you were still having issues as its been a few weeks.

You mentioned above about the drivers, indeed it does sound plausible.

Do you remember SPECIFICALLY which driver you installed and then had the issue?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice