1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen w/ blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MuscleOfJUSTICE, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuscleOfJUSTICE

MuscleOfJUSTICE Thread Starter

Well, basically what happened was I fell asleep and left my computer on.
    When I woke up, it seemed to be kind of dead, it wouldn't turn off but it wouldn't do anything either. It looked like it wasn't connecting to the monitor. So I pull the plug, and try restarting it, it hits something similar to the problem before.

I do it again, it loads up this time. Everythings fine and dandy for a while, and then it locks up, first Mozilla Firefox freezes up, then a few other programs, then I hit the start button, it seems to work, for a second. Then it locks up showing only the skin of the start(No programs appeared or anything, only the black outlining of Vista). It seems the computer has frozen.

It won't turn off, so I plug pull. I turn it on. An HP Invent screen appears, and then the black screen with the blinking cursor. I can't do anything here, nothing, except turn the computer off normally.

I can, however, access the ESC, F10, and F11 options when I'm at the HP Invent screen.

So does is it a hardware problem? Or maybe I just did something to corrupt the system?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It may have been in "Hibernation" and was trying to copy the "In Use files" back to memory from the hard drive.
    Now that you have pulled the plug several times Lord knows what has been done your OS and data.

You do have back ups of all your data, right?
    Rebuild your machine to factory settings, install programs and restore your backups.

3. MuscleOfJUSTICE

MuscleOfJUSTICE Thread Starter

By back ups, do you mean just system data? Or everything including media and programs?

It looks like I can go into safe mode now, and the diagnostics say that the corruption/missing file lies in \boot\memtest.exe with the problem being 0x000000e. Could I do anything from there?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice