1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen when Idle no response from mouse

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Darg_mals, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darg_mals

Darg_mals Thread Starter

When computer is Idle I can't seem to wake it up with the mouse.
    I have to hard boot my computer. I did get rid of TV wake up mode on my startup menu. My ram was only running at 51% so I am in selective start up mode, could this have anything to do with getting the black sceen and not being able to wake it up?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated:rolleyes:

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there Darg_mals...

What I would do is go into the BIOS and disable all power saving features, sometimes when using both hardware and software power saving, it causes problems...

3. Darg_mals

Darg_mals Thread Starter

Jedi

Thank-you for your suggestion. That brings be to another question. Is standby not good for your computer and what is the best way to treat the computer. Should I just leave it on all day? Just shut off the monitor. Shut off at night? Ok maybe it was a few questions :).

P.S.

I didn't do the BIOS thing but the black screen thing has magically fixed its self. I have heard it is a good idea to shut off power saving features though. Why is that?

Sorry I'm just full of questions tonight

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

That's an old argument that I've had with several people, IMHO the power saving features need only to be run on Laptops...

And as to this...

It's ok to use Standby as long as you are not having problems waking up the pc, I normally turn my pc off, because where I'm at we get a lot of power surges, and in the summer a lot of electrical storms, and even though mine has several surge suppressors, I have still lost several modem's, and a couple of motherboards in the past...

5. Darg_mals

Darg_mals Thread Starter

Thank-you very much for your help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice