Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Screen When Starting My Laptop

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi i Need Help Anyone?
When i turn my Laptop on theres just a black screen i have Windows Vista .. its doest even go to the log in screen and i do hear my laptop starting up and i left it on for an hour still just a black screen could anyone solve/help me with the probelm and i have had the laptop for about 3 years

#2 ·
A lot of people here could help you ... if we had more detail.
What brand and model of computer?
When you first start the computer does ANYTHING appear on the screen?

If it is always black, at every stage of the startup then perhaps your display is bad.
If it has something showing something, then when and what is that?

#5 ·
Its a HP Pavillion dv6000 when i turn the power button on theres just a black screen nothing appears what would it mean if my display was bad? how would i fix that?
If nothing EVER shows up on the laptop screen there are a couple things that could be bad, the way I am thinking.
  • The power supply could be bad, but you may be able to rule that out if it sounds like the rest of your computer is going through its throws of starting up (the drive is spinning, some other lights seem to be doing what you expect, the sounds out of the speakers are doing what you expect).
  • The connections to the display might be disconnected. You might be able to get someone who will be bold enough to "crack the case" to see if something might be easily reconnected.
  • The backlights of the LCD panel are out. Either they are disconnected. or just burnt out. With this possibility you might be able to shine enough front light, at some angle, to see that some things are appearing - very darkly - on the screen. This can be very hard to see. In this case you might be able to get the lamp(s) replaced or reconnected. That may not be too cheap.
  • The video card, or the video circuits, on the motherboard could have gone bad.
In almost, if not all, of those cases it is going to cost you some money.

Simply, most laptops are not really built to be repaired. They can get expensive to do so. If you have a handy computer person, who is willing to open the laptop to see if things can be diagnosed better, and possibly be repaired, then you may get this working again. Otherwise, I would not hold too many hopes out for you. Sorry.

Follow Megabite's advice. See if an external monitor can display your Windows.

#6 ·
Thanks for your advice whats an external monitor? sorry dont know much about this computer stuff and i think it could be the screen a few weeks ago i had it on the edge of a table and it fell off and afterwards the screen had about 4lines at the bottom of the screen and they've been there ever since and after that my computer was hard to start when i would press the power button it would beep 3 times and turn itself off and i would keep pressing the power button til it would come on probly and it would take about 10 or 15 gos and now this black screen so maybe the screen as just got recked from the fall

#7 ·
(Assuming I have found the correct manual.) On the left side of your computer is a D-shaped jack (see page 14, item #3), with 15 pins (3 rows of 5 pins each). That is typically called a "VGA port." You can use a VGA cable to connect a separate video monitor to your laptop. There are keyboard keys to switch between 3 display modes: your regular built-in video screen, the externally connected monitor, or both. For your laptop it looks like that should be when you hold down the "Fn" key and then press "F4"

But, if you have the external monitor already connected to the port, at turn on, many laptops will automatically enable that external monitor.

If the computer works with this external monitor, you can continue to use it like that, and then figure out if you want to get it fixed. But if your computer is really dead (and I had asked earlier if you had the idea from the sounds of the computer, if the computer seemed to be somewhat functioning) then you will not see anything. Can't hurt to try, though. Good luck.

#8 ·
I just hooked my laptop to my pc screen (my pc is a hp pavilion mx704) using the vga cable and i thought it was going to work the pc monitor light went blue for like 4seconds than went orange again tried a few more times still the same thing why is that? what other type of video monitors could i use? thanks for your help soo far (and is it not working because my laptop could be dead or do i need another video monitor)

#10 ·
If using an external monitor produced no video, and you cannot see any signs of writing or video looking very close at screen, then it has to be the motherboard which I have seen a lot lately with HP laptops and regrettably with today's prices, it is not worth repairing as HP gets $350-400 for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.