1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen when trying to enter sleep mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by genuine_fake, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. genuine_fake

genuine_fake Thread Starter

I've got an HP laptop (dv6568se) and lately it has been having issues going into sleep mode. I close the lid, but it remains on and doesn't go to sleep. I open it back up, and the screen remains black, as if it had tried to go into sleep, but didn't. I can't do anything at this point except power it off by holding the power button.

This started happening around the time I got a base with two fans that plugs into the USB port, could that be the root of the problem? When it booted back up, it gave me this error message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 9f
    BCP1: 00000003
    BCP2: 84A2B700
    BCP3: 864591B0
    BCP4: A3265068
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010308-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Nathan Wilson\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29514780-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Nathan Wilson\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA3C6.tmp.version.txt

I have copied the files above and attached them.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=NETw4v32.sys&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

See also > http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x9f > note there is a Vista specific hotfix for some configurations receiving this BSOD

edit >> is this you posting here? > http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-88550-Vista-Blue-Screen--Sleep-Mode.html

If not you should contact HP for help with this issue -- they may have an update for the problem.

3. genuine_fake

That wasn't me. I downloaded the Vista specific hotfix but it told me "this does not apply to this system." Could it already be installed?

I did some reading on other forums, most of what they're having problems with is the card turning itself off randomly. It has not done that to me yet. I have the latest driver as well, it might have fixed that issue.

Sorry it took me this long to get back, I've been away visiting family. I am about to try going into sleep mode multiple times to see if it does it again. I'll edit this post with the results.

- Just tried putting it into sleep mode 7 times, using various programs I've been using lately between them, and it did okay every time.

I don't know what was making it crash so frequently. I notice the card turns itself off (the light turns orange from blue) when going into sleep, and maybe it was having problems doing that, so I'll try switching the card off manually before going into sleep from now on. Thanks for your help, Rog.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

And are you sure you downloaded the 32 (x86) version of the hotfix and not the one for 64 bit vista?

This is the one for you >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9325F882-CF13-458D-9F86-6A3DD4148554

And if that was not you on that forum -- I think you should be talking to HP as this seems like a problem they should be seeing more of.

For what it's worth I believe the fault is related to the wireless card or configuration. Go to HP's website, enter your system and see if there is an update for the wireless card.

Also see if the error occurs with no wireless connection -- connected directly to the modem, if practical.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I believe that a new update, just published: KB943899 addresses your problem.

If you have automatic updates enabled it should be available if not already installed.

6. genuine_fake

Using the link you gave me, the file still said "the update does not apply to your system."

When I tested it earlier and said that it was working just fine, I was wrong. I guess it's okay if I'm not on it for that long, but when I use it for a few hours and then try to put it to sleep it locks up.

Also, I'm not sure if the error report that I posted originally is related to the issue I'm having. It could have been something that just happened at the same time, because the past 3 times it has locked up on me (in the past 2 days) no error report has come up after booting it back up. I even went to the problems center and it doesn't have any dated recently.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does KB943899 show as an installed update in Windows update > History? -- If you have automatic updates installed, it should now. This is flagged only as a "recommended" update.

Note that this update addresses issues with wireless connections and return from standby -- and that is what I think you experienced:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943899

However let's look at some other things as well.

run mdsched.exe and read the additional info and run the extended memory test and see if there are any problems there.

No recent problems in the Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc)

8. genuine_fake

The update had already been installed.

No memory problems were detected.

The event viewer shows 10 critical problems, most of them happening within the past month, which sounds about right. They are all
    "Event 41, Kernel-Power
    The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition."

What should I be looking for in the Event Viewer?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice