Black screen when turning computer on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jslesh3

Yesterday my computer shut down and now when I try to restart it, it's stuck at a black screen. I went into Boot Options and then Diagnostics, and the error code 2000-0146 came up. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do now. Help please!

edit: i dont know if this is the right place to post so i posted in hardware too. if i get a response here i'll delete the other one

jslesh3

Yeah i put all the specs in when i joined but here they are

Dell Studio XPS 1640, Intel Core 2 Duo T9550(2.66 GHz/1066 Mhz FSB/6M L2 Cache)
4GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz 2 Dimm for XPS 1640
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670 - 512MB
500GB 7200RPM Free Fall Sensor Seagate Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista with SP1 Home Premium Edition 64-bit Edition

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
That error usually indicates that the Disk Self Test contained errors. This sounds like an issue with the hard drive.

I would boot into the BIOS first and make sure its reading the drive properly. Otherwise, it may need to be replaced.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
It usually tells you when you first turn on the computer.

Sometimes you will see something like "Press F2 for Setup" or "Press Del for Setup"

jslesh3

Under Main it says BIOS Version A05 but it wont let me select it. What changes if any should I make?

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
It is possible. Do you have your Windows disc? You can use it to check the HD for problems and it may be able to repair them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online