1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen while gaming fans running full blast

Discussion in 'Games' started by Itfc123, Apr 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Itfc123

Itfc123 Thread Starter

evening all,

I recently bought a new laptop intel i7 8750h @2.20ghz (12CPUs) ~2.2GHz windows 10 home 64 bit with a nvidia rtx 2060 and everything was working perfectly up until a few days but now while gaming(total war) the screen will flicker and either freeze,turn black or CTD.30 seconds later even if I have exited the game the fans will run at full speed and then ill get a bsod with a video dxgkrnl fatal error message.it happens at certain points in the game which makes me think its not overheating or it would be more random? its also only 2 weeks old.when I restart laptop occasionally nvidia will give me a "you are not currently using a display attached to a montitor" error

ive tried reinstalling both the intel graphics driver and nvidia and reinstalled windows and the games aswell to no avail.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The problem is more than likely caused by Windows 10 updates which as you may know are automatic and cannot be stopped, updating the driver for the Nvidia graphics card to the latest driver from Nvidia.
    Whereas, the one you need is the one provided by the laptop manufacturer
    As indeed Nvidia point out
    The driver from the laptop site will be suitable for the laptop to switch from the integrated Intel graphics to the Nvidia graphics when required.
    I suspect yours is not switching.

Some suggestions have been made that if the laptop is equipped with a HDMI or other port for external monitor then connecting that ensures that the Nvidia driver I used.

See this
    https://appuals.com/fix-you-are-not-currently-using-a-display-attached-to-an-nvidia-gpu/

NOTE IGNORE any suggestion to use Reimage or any other third party maintenance tool.
    The link is provided only so that you may read what I think is the cause as outlined above.

This is especially likely if you have downloaded from Nvidia rather than from the laptop site.
    Other possible causes are the use of third party tools on the laptop - that you may have installed such as system boosters or game boosters.

If neither of these explanations solve the problem, I strongly suggest you return the laptop and tell the seller to sort the problem out.

Since Nvidia and laptop manufacturers removed the ability for the end user to choose themselves WHICH graphics to use the integrated or the actual card, there have been many such problems - of the laptop not switching to the actual graphics from the card.

I do NOT run the latest 10 but I do NOT think that on the latest version of 10 you can disable driver updates under device installation settings and registry changes to stop driver updates from Windows are most inadvisable.

3. Itfc123

Itfc123 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your quick reply and sorry for my delay it’s been a busy Easter :)

I have tried your suggestions and a million other things to no avail!after reading abit about psu etc I tried running games on just the battery and it seemed to work!while in the middle of a game I plugged the charger back in and it crashed instantly!could a faulty charger be the cause or maybe some settings need adjusting?ive changed the power management settings to balanced and I’ll see how it goes with that.

Thanks again

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The reason it works on battery only I would think is because on battery the laptop is automatically prevented from using the Nvidia graphics.
    and is using only the integrated graphics.

Whatever the cause the answer if my suggestions di not solve it - is as I said quoted above.

Why you would pursue any other action on a new laptop just a couple of weeks old is beyond me .

With respect reinstalling windows and now considering faulty power supply adapter is NOT the way to go.

I strongly advise you to return it - rather than waiting and then trying other tweaks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice