1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen. White Flashing Dash

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by christenka, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christenka

christenka Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000, running with Windows Vista Home Premium.

When I turn on the computer, the HP intro screen turns on but then immediately goes Black with a white flashing dash in the top left screen. I can not access F8, safe mode, etc. I can only access the basic set up menu.

I never received a restore, or a Windows XP disc. Ive come to terms with the fact that I will most likely would lose my files and am willing to do a restore, but I can not get onto the log on screen. Do i need to see a tech? Please be advised I am not tech savvy and just want to get back on to my computer :(

Any help/links/disc downloads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Just a bit confused here: You say you have Vista Home Premium and then you say that you do not have a Windows XP disc? Could you clarify this point a bit more please.

Ray

3. christenka

What I meant was, I never received or purchased a vista installation disc which as I've researched, people have said "use your installation or repair disc," which I have neither.

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

What does it say in the Basic menu?
    And is this the menu you got when tapping the F8 key as soon as your computer starts up?

5. christenka

F8 is not accessible at all...and the basic setup is the systems, run diagnostic, security, etc. Nothing gives me access past the HP opening screen.

6. vicks

vicks

Contact HP. I am sure you can purchase the necessary recovery disks. Most companies charge about $20.00 US
    for them.
    Vicks

7. christenka

will i lose all data with recovery?

8. vicks

vicks

Very most likely you will. That is why it is advisable to back up anything you want to keep...on a regular schedule.
    Sometimes, when able to do a 'repair' install your personal documents are okay, but you still would need to reinstall any programs and update your security programs etc.
    vicks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979338