1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen with a blinking dash on the upper left corner

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sojako, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sojako

Sojako Thread Starter

I have this problem that when i boot my computer the acer logo appears and then it goes to a screen that have some text on it and then it continues to a black screen with a blinking dash pn the upper left corner. I dont actually know what the problem is and I am hoping that someone could help me.

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

Usually this will happen if a driver or system file has become corrupted. The blinking cursor after the text screen is when drivers and system building occur. There are a few things you can try. First tap on the F8 key repeatedly during boot to get to the Safe Mode screen and try "last known good configuration" and see if it will boot now. If that doesn't work go to the Safe Mode screen again and boot into Safe Mode and type "System Restore" into the search box to restore to an earlier time to see if it will fix the problem. While in Safe mode you can also view the Device Manager screen to see if any yellow exclamation marks have shown up indicating what part of the system failed allowing you the chance to reinstall the problem driver or system files.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not finding a bootable system. Is the hard drive still detected in the BIOS?

4. Sojako

Sojako Thread Starter

I cant click f8 on my pc and no safe mode available. The only things i can do before the blinking dash appears is go into bios settings and click f12 to select if the computer should boot up with cd/dvd or with the internal hard drive.

5. Sojako

Sojako Thread Starter

I dont know how to see the hard drive in BIOS

6. kenbok51

kenbok51

To see the hard drive in the bios you would look in two locations. The first being a list of all drives including optical drives and there order, the second being where the boot order is listed. That's where you set which drives it should check first at boot when starting so you can set the optical drive as the first boot device when you want to install an OS from CD/DVD boot up. Your C drive should be there if it's being detected. If you have been inside the PC for cleaning or adding memory or similar you might want to check to see if the connections to the hard drive are solid, both at the drive and the motherboard. If it's a laptop it's not so simple as removing the side or a towers case. Even if you haven't been inside connections have been known to work themselves loose at times.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice