1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen with blinking cursor frozen at very start of startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by denno020, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've been searching around for someone with my problem, however the things I find don't seem to be exactly the same...

Sometimes when I turn on my computer, the screen will turn on as usual, and there is like a cursor that blinks in the top left corner of the screen, again, as usual. However, it will sometimes stop, and stay on this screen for upwards of a minute or more. The laptop sounds like it's still working, as the fan is going pretty fast and everything sounds like it's spinning, however it doesn't show anything on the screen. After around the minute duration, the screen will go black and the normal boot up process is proceeded with.
    From what I've read of other people, they can't even get past this screen, which is why I think my problem is slightly different, or the same, just not as severe. Does my problem also sound like it's the MBR, as indicated by other people's questions on the Internet?

If so, is there any easy way to repair it without having to use a windows 7 disc, as I have a laptop and didn't get a disc with it...

Thanks
    Denno

2. mel8again

mel8again

If you go to Backup and Restore in Control Panel you can Create a system repair disc. You can then use it to start up and try a repair. You may have to do the same MBR several times before it works.

3. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

ok thanks mate. I will try that.

Denno

4. mel8again

mel8again

Your welcome. Come back and update us.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice