Black screen with blinking cursor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jcw614

:(I have a dell desktop, i used crap cleaner and uninstalled some programs that i was no longer using, restarted and now i have a black screen with blinking cursor in top left hand corner. It just beeps when i attempt f2 or f12 after starting it. I hear the fans, and other "wirring" but nothing else happens. Did i screw up with crap cleaner with my registry?

techkid

David
CCleaner and other Registry cleaners should be used with care. Overall, the Registry does not take up all that much space, and the entries therein do not cause that much of an effect (except when modified by malware or viruses).

How far in to the boot process does it get before it goes to the blank screen?

This sounds like the same problem i'm having. I hadn't changed any registry files or run any sort of cleaner though. My problem occured after the power went out during shutdown. Could this have affected my registry?

jcw614

It comes on, it says Dell, and then goes to black screen. This morning there are no sounds from the hard drive just the cdrom coming to life. I try to push f2 or f12-nothing. I am going to take the quiet as a very bad sign. I have over 3000 family pics on that computer!

jcw614

Ok. So I turned on the computer, pressing F8 until something came up. It said keyboard failure. So I moved the tower, and then all of a sudden the computer starts loading up, then it stopped, so I started pushing cords back into the back of the tower and then it loaded all the way up. But my keyboard is not working at all. I must have a short in a cord?? I was soooo excited that it loaded up, but I am aware that there is still a problem I need to fix.

jcw614

I have no keyboard, and no mouse. I unplugged them and plugged them back in. Nothing. I wonder why they both quit working. The mouse worked long enough for me to access internet explorer then nothing. Is this a sign of things to come? I was going to work diligently and get all my pictures to internet back up. Kinda hard to do now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online