1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen with blinking underscore, unbootable.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeviK, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeviK

LeviK Thread Starter

First Name:
    Leevi
    This happened in mid-January this year, so I'm going fully based on faded memories and the notes I took down when it happened.

What I know:
    • BSOD occurred whilst playing a game on Steam, I didn't catch the error-code, as it immediately shut down.
    • Blinking underscore upon next boot
    • Only F12 (Bootup devices) and Del (BIOS) are available, other function keys are not able to proceed to their respective screens.
    • On BIOS; CMOS: A drive is not detected. As in the A-Drive, not a drive.
    What I tried:
    • Try prioritizing bootup devices
    • Resetting BIOS manually
    • Change SATA cable slots, the cable itself, and slots again
    • Tested RAM sticks by removing them one at a time (and switching them to the first slot so the device can recognize properly), none appeared faulty.
    • Tried booting from USB, which gave''invalid partitions''.
    Notes:
    • On BIOS, the Onboard SATA mode is set to Raids, for whatever reason. This is by default and cannot be changed. It is assumed it was set so by the manufacturer, but it was not originally my desktop, and I have no knowledge of it ever being changed from the factory build.
    • ^ To add, the SATA cables have now been swapped to new ones, though identical.
    • PC Health Status: all normal
    • I don't have a clean install or a recovery disk, but the recovery screen isn't available anyway, so I haven't tried to restore to an earlier point either.
    BIOS Extra:
    • System manufacturer: ACER
    • Product name: Aspire M5620
    • MB manufacturer: ACER
    • SMBIOS version: 2.5.0
    • System BIOS version: RO1-A2
    • BIOS released 07/17/07
    Other Specs:
    Found a vague description of factory builds for this model @ http://acersupport.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM5620/AspireM5620sp2.shtml
    • Intel® Core™2 Quad processor
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    If anyone has specific ideas instead of swapping major parts, then they are warmly welcomed. I don't have enough need for a third PC to spend money on the more expensive ones.
    ~ LeviK

2. LeviK

LeviK Thread Starter

First Name:
    Leevi
    I take it there are no ideas whatsoever? Bump.

3. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    as astarter, using digital camera to capture the BSOD error code on the screen might help.

after the above narrowing down of the possibilities, overheating needs to be eliminated. this would need specifics of recent changes or overclocking.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice