1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen with compaq logo, wont load windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tahoe65, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tahoe65

Tahoe65 Thread Starter

Hi...I have a compaq 5108US, windows xp pro.. recently installed a new hard drive, which worked fine for a few months. now when I try to turn on the computer, all I get is a black screen, with the compaq logo, and an immediate blinking cursor in the upper right hand corner. Tabbing f8 etc does not bring me to the safe mode option screen. I had the same problem a few months ago, of which I ended up having a new hard drive installed and that solved the problem. I wouldnt think a new hard drive would go bad that quick (if this is the problem this time). No beeps.. I also installed a new memory board, and it reads 504 memory ok, 164 memory size error, in addition to the black screen, compaq logo and blinking cursor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Enter the BIOS setup utility and ensure your harddrive is set up correctly. You should see instructions to enter setup on the Compaq logo screen. If not try: ESC or one of the F* keys until you get in.

3. Tahoe65

Tahoe65 Thread Starter

I have tried for the past month to tab F* keys, and nothing happens, stays on the black screen with the compaq logo and the blinking cursor in the upper right hand corner..i have also tried ESC as well as other keys, still nothing changes .. as for instructions to enter setup on the compaq logo screen, there are no instructions , just the same black screen etc.. before the computer went down, when i would try to enter the safe mode screen, tabbing F8 would beep.. now that the computer is not working or booting, i no longer get those beeps.. when the new hard drive was installed several months ago, it worked, so i think the hard drive is set up correctly..desperately need help to get this computer to boot into windows! thanks

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

F10 should be the BIOS Setup key. Try hitting it even before anything comes up on the screen.

Have you tried to overclock your CPU? There's a jumper setting on the motherboard to make the system clock run at 133mhz, but it won't boot with this jumper set.

5. Tahoe65

Tahoe65 Thread Starter

hi..tried tabbing F10 and F8 before the compaq logo appears, same black screen.. i havent tried to overclock the CPU, not sure how to do that? i didnt have a problem with the clock/date before the computer went down. should i unplug all jumpers and cables and then plug them back in? thanks again for any suggestions and info

6. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

No. If you haven't touched the jumpers, changing them will probably only cause more problems. This is a common screen but it could point to a variety of different hardware errors. It's likely a motherboard/Bus problem but I have to go for now, so I can't help troubleshoot. You were on the right track with replacing the harddrive, now we know that wasn't the problem. Try "flashing the BIOS." instructions can be found by searching this forum with words like: CMOS, BIOS, battery, flash, setup, utility, default. Although this is not likely to solve the problem, it's definately worth a try.

7. Tahoe65

Tahoe65 Thread Starter

i had this problem about four months ago, and changed out the hard drive.. that fixed the problem, for about two months, then it happend again (black screen, compaq logo etc).. thats why i am thinking it could be the hard drive that i just had installed a few months ago, maybe it went bad already? another problem to do with a new hard drive, i dont have the original compaq recovery cd (it didnt come with the system when i bought it)..so, if i have to buy another hard drive, i dont have an OS to install, so i am hoping i can fix it and not have to get another hard drive... i will try searching bios info that you suggested, thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!