Solved Black screen with cursor after preparing automatic repair

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Serge2012

Hi,

I have a HP laptop Windows 10. I had a few issues with my laptop and recently I had a message with a blue screen "DPC Watchdog Violation". I tried to do automatic repair on boot but it got stuck at 18%. I shut down my laptop and restarted then I had the same message starting automatic repair then it disappeared and now I'm stuck with a black screen and the white cursor but nothing happens...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Serge

First Name
Darrin
I recommend trying the followimg from command prompt. If you can not access command prompt you will need to create a Win 10 install disc to boot.

How to make a bootable DVD or USB via the media creation tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

From command prompt:

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change the all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help, copy and paste the following command:
bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter)

1. d:\
2. cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback
3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed

4. copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
5. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
6. Restart computer and test

Serge2012

Hi Dckeks,

Thanks for your help. Actually I let it on for a while with the black screen and it started to run a diagnostic then repairing disk for errors and restarted successfully this time. I'm going to close that thread. Thanks any way!

Serge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts