1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen with cursor on login

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Miko12, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miko12

Miko12 Thread Starter

Let me give you the run down of the entire story if it can help my case

- When I woke up at about 10AM 2 days ago, I opened my PC and it granted me a black screen saying something about no partitions found, I tried many things that I saw online and the best one was to just re-download windows 10, so I went on my laptop and downloaded windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 . After downloading it and selecting the ISO file so it downloads on my desktop, I used a program called Rufus https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html that I got recommended by YouTube videos and articles, which basically puts the ISO file into your USB to make a bootable USB flash drive. Everything was working fine. Afterwards, when I had my bootable USB, I inserted it into my PC and booted my PC with the USB key, which downloaded windows 10 again (I did not have a product key but there's an option to press that it still works fine), after downloading windows, I managed to do everything on a normal windows, that's until I restarted my PC...

When I restarted my PC, I was granted with the ability to log in and put my info (password). But when it launched, I was getting a black screen with my cursor, I let it sat for like 3 hours, and nothing happened, I restarted my PC nothing different, I started looking up articles and videos on this problem, they would tell me to go on my Task Manager but when I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click on task manager it gives me this error:

"Failure to display security and shut down options The sign-in process couldn't display security and sign-in options when Ctrl+Alt+Delete was pressed. If Windows doesn't respond, press Esc, or use the power switch to restart"

Yes, I've tried restarting and pressing Escape, nothing works, I had to resort to re-downloading Windows 10
    PS: I've also tried netsh winsock reset and booting in safe mode, nothing works....

I'm really out of ideas, I've looked at over 50 videos and tons of articles related to all my problems in the past 2 days and I'm really starting to think my PC is broken.

To write this I re-downloaded windows 10 and installed chrome and started typing. If I restart at this point the same thing would happen.

Thank you for reading and any help would mean the world.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Never hurts to try rebooting again. You won't know if the re-installation of Win 10 fixed it . All it means is that you would have to spend 15 mins to redo the install.

Anyways, it could be due to a bad spot (weak sector) on the hard drive. I find that on re-installation of windows the same things are put back onto the same spot, or thereabouts, even though I did a Custom install and deleted all partitions during the process. Thats when I know for sure I had to replace the hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice