1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Black screen with cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dougglos, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Just recently my PC (which used to boot up in about 90 seconds) now opens with just a black screen, although my cursor pointer is showing there. If I do nothing, it now takes in excess of seven minutes to boot up. All my programs, etc., are there and function properly, but I would like to know how to get it to revert to a faster boot up time. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Windows 10 which has had the latest update installed.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  3. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Rebooted in Safe Mode as you suggested, and had a fairly quick boot. But after restarting in Normal mode it was again seven+ minutes.

I then downloaded the Seagate program per your link and arrived at the screen as shown below. Have no idea where to go from there!

Any thoughts please?

upload_2018-5-26_0-35-39.png

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  5. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Long test took over 2 hours, and the page has just gone back to the same as the screen shot above, except for Drive Status showing "Long Generic - Pass" and Test Status window is blank . Can I assume that means that the hard drive has passed - and if so I can disconnect my external (backup) drive from the USB and try a reboot ?

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Yes yes that means it passed.

7. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Disconnected my external hard drive from the USB port it was using. Restarted my PC as you suggested. Still took in excess of six minutes to get back to my desktop, most of which time was again showing only a black screen plus the cursor pointer.

8. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Further to my last post - I was browsing through various suggestions via Google, and came across this so gave it a try!

"I found a fix for this issue through following steps.

For issue were you are getting black screen with white cursor
    >Press Ctrl+Alt+Del
    >Go to 'Services' tab
    >Look for 'AppReadiness'
    >Right click and stop it.

Make sure you disable the same after login into Windows.
    >Click start and type 'Services'
    >Look for 'AppReadiness'
    >Right click and select 'Properties'
    >Startup type should be set to 'Disabled'
    >Set the 'Service Status' to Stopped "

So I gave it a try and everything was back to normal - no black screen and PC booting up in about 75 seconds!!!

Didn't think I could be so lucky, but have closed down and restarted several times as a check, with 100% success!

Will give it a couple of hours and then, if all continues, will mark as "Solved".

But I also want to thank you for all your efforts!

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Great I hope it continues and Thanks for sharing the solution. I have not heard of that one before. Do you know if this happened after your latest Windows update?

10. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Yes, it did, and that was only one of the problems that arose after that update! Still can't change my desktop from pictures (some of which I had from photographs I had taken in many places around the world) so am just stuck with single coloured backgrounds, and the other problem was that when I start my PC and click "Start" the small squares which used to show various pictures, etc., are a solid blue colour containing a "down" arrow, and I can't do anything with them. Clicking on them just brings up the message shown below as a screenshot - which means nothing to me I'm afraid!

upload_2018-5-26_21-6-49.png

Still, at least I can now start or restart my PC without having to wait over seven minutes each time!!

Again, many thanks for all your efforts!

PS: PC still starting beautifully!

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Thanks for letting me know. It seems there are lots of issues still being worked out with this release. Hopefully they will resolve a lot of issues soon. It is good practice to make an image backup before updating to major releases if you do not do it on a regular basis.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice