1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen with white dash after first portion of Windows Setup?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1aleksic, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1aleksic

1aleksic Thread Starter

Hello, I am trying to install Windows XP (because Windows 7 is damn slow) Corporate Edition 64-bit but after the Copying Windows Files setup portion, the setup wants to restart my computer, but after the motherboard logo, I just get the blacnk screen with white dash - if CD is inserted I get "Press any key to boot from CD....." and a white dash at the end with nothing happening. I've searched for a solution everywhere, but I didn't find my case. I have installed XP atleas 20 times on this computer, and I've never had such problem before. I thought it could be because of the 64-bit version, but after trying to install the 32-bit version I have got the same issue, which has never happened before. Windows 7 installs perfectly. I have: removed the CD from the drive; Updated the BIOS to the last version; Tried running in safe mode and nothing helped. My computer specs are: Processor: Intel Pentium DualCore @ 2.80 GHz, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, 650GB HDD SATA2, ATI HD 4770 512MB DDR5 Graphics Card, American Megatrends Inc. 0502 BIOS. I hope there's somebody out there to help me because I really want XP.

-Mucky

2. Spawny

Spawny

Seems that Windows XP installation is not detecting or having problems with your SATA2 drive.

Try going to BIOS and Switching the SATA2 drive out of RAID mode if possible see if that helps.

Windows Xp has issues with SATA2 Drives.

Or you may need to slipstream your copy of Xp with sp2 or 3 if your cd is only SP1 for it to recognize and work with SATA drives. Also with SATA drives I believe Windows XP only recognizes 128GB 137GB SATA drives.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Where did you get the windows xp corporate edition from?to my knowledge there is no legitimate version of windows xp corporate. there is windows media center, windows xp home and windows xp pro.was this downloaded from somewhere and then burned to a cd? if so then no further assistance can be given.more information is needed as to what version of xp this really is.

4. buffoon

buffoon

Indeed "XP corporate" (in its time) was/is for corporate use, allowing multiple installations without PA key. That required special contracts. Any of its versions floating around the "free" market for personal use are by default illegal since no legal version (actually setup configuration) was ever issued.

Closing this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice