1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen with white underscore in top left corner

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by irraduses, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

Hello, my computer will freeze every 2 hours or so and I have to restart it by holding down on the power button.

Then when I restart it I get a black screen with white underscore in the top left corner. Or sometimes a screen that says no boot device available.

I can still start the computer by going to boot menu and choosing HD at the start of setup. But if I don't press f8 then my comp will not boot up.

I don't have a clue whats wrong with it. I had to reinstall vista but still the same problems. Please help.

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

Sounds like the BIOS boot order is wrong. When your computer is first turned on, you need to push either Del or F2 to go into the BIOS set up. In there there will be a menu item call Device Boot Order or something along those lines. If you go in to that item there will be the option to choose the order to boot which piece of hardware in. If Hard drive is one of the first items, push it up to number one. If that does not work then it could be the motherboard or harddrive is dying, meaning you will need to replace one or both of those items.

3. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

I changed the boot priority and now i just get a black screen with this:

No Boot Device Available

Sata 0: Installed
    Sata 1: Installed
    Sata 2: Installed
    Sata 3: None

4. Megabite

Megabite

So if you go to the boot menu and choose HDD it starts everytime OK?

Is the time on the PC correct?

5. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

Yep when i go to boot menu and select HDD everything loads as normal. The time is correct.

6. Megabite

Megabite

How old is the PC and is it a desktop?

7. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

its a dell inspiron 531 desktop and is about 2.5 years old

8. Megabite

Megabite

It could be the Cmos battery need replacing as it is not remembering ....have you tried going into bios and setting to default then Save and exit..

9. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

10. Megabite

Megabite

So that would happen when you set the Bios to default....so now the floopy has been disabled does it boot up OK?

11. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

For some reason setting it to default didn't work. Which is weird because surely the default boot settings are the ones i've been using up until i started having problems.

But anyway, yeah, when i disabled floppy everything was fine. Computer boots perfectly now.

12. Megabite

Megabite

No they may have been changed ....if it happens again I would think about a new Cmos battery.....does your Hard drive work and sound OK?

13. irraduses

irraduses Thread Starter

yeah seems to be working and sounding just fine now

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!