1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simpleton2, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simpleton2

simpleton2 Thread Starter

I was having problems with a previous desktop in that the monitor would occasionally go completely black for a few seconds before coming back. It was a fairly old desktop running windows 7 and the monitor (LG) was of a similar age. After other problems with the desktop I decided to buy a new one which I set up running with Windows 10. The screen was still going completely black every so often, so I got a new monitor (Samsung S22F350). I have set up the new monitor with a new VGA cable and am still having the same problem, just as frequently (if not more so) than previously. So I have a new desktop with new ethernet cable, new monitor, new VGA cable, even a new mouse and keyboard, but still get the same issue. I also run a laptop (connected to the power supply so there can be no power issues) and tablet off the same router with no issues. I really have no idea what the issue can be. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU J4205 @ 1.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8010 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (864 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 00FKMJ
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Click on the Windows button and then type Power. When the options come up, choose Edit power plan. What's the time set to for turning off the monitor? This isn't a Lenovo PC, is it? The reason I'm asking: I've worked with quite a few Lenovo machines which had their own power management software and it could go screwy sometimes by turning off the monitor after less than a minute.

3. simpleton2

simpleton2 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. No, it's Dell. Both the turn off and sleep functions are set at 30 minutes.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Are you doing anything specifically at the time when these black-outs occur? Running particular apps, playing games? I would suggest logging times when these events happen, to see if there's a pattern to them or, conversely, see if it's randomised. Moreover, when logging the times I'd also recommend checking Event Viewer to see if anything correlates in the logs with these events.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice