Black screen

JaydeNpie

I was playing a game on my PC yesterday, when suddenly my gpu fans go haywire, and my screen cuts to black. I touched the gpu, and it was burning up. It's been a black screen even after turning it off, plugging it out, dusting out the PC, and switching PCI slots. I am on the way to grab thermal paste in case the GPU paste wasn't applied correctly or something. I also ruled out the HMDI cable by using three different ones, and the monitor works fine with other inputs, like my PS4. Does anyone know what could be causing it? It's a custom PC build with an ASUS GIGABYTE 6GB GeForce GTX 1060, if that's important.

We could do with knowing the brand and model name or number of the CPU, motherboard and the power supply so that we can check the specs of each, this will tell us if you have the option of onboard video and if your power supply is likely to be the cause of the issue/s.

JaydeNpie

We could do with knowing the brand and model name or number of the CPU, motherboard and the power supply so that we can check the specs of each, this will tell us if you have the option of onboard video and if your power supply is likely to be the cause of the issue/s.
CPU: Intel i3-8100
Mobo: MSI Z390 HD3 AORUS
PSU: EVGA 600W ATX 80+
Sorry for the late reply, I went to bed.

MSI Z390 HD3 AORUS
Sorry but no such a MB, Gigabyte make the AORUS range of board, no matter as we have the CPU details and it does provide video so your MB should do as well.

Remove the add on video card from the PCI-E slot on the MB, connect your screen to the appropriate video port on the MB, reseat the RAM in the slot/s, reassemble then power up to see if you get any video.

JaydeNpie

Sorry but no such a MB, Gigabyte make the AORUS range of board, no matter as we have the CPU details and it does provide video so your MB should do as well.

Remove the add on video card from the PCI-E slot on the MB, connect your screen to the appropriate video port on the MB, reseat the RAM in the slot/s, reassemble then power up to see if you get any video.
My bad, I named them off the top of my head. I already did all of those things. I also cleaned everything, re-applied thermal paste, and tried one RAM stick at a time. I didn't want to spend money on another gpu, but I might have to. Is there anything else I could try?

Does your MB have an onboard speaker like the one in the attachment - does the computer normally beep once when you first boot up.

I didn't want to spend money on another gpu, but I might have to.
If the onboard video is also not working your add on GPU may be ok.

NB: Always best to list everything that you have tried in your OP ;)

Attachments

JaydeNpie

Does your MB have an onboard speaker like the one in the attachment - does the computer normally beep once when you first boot up.

If the onboard video is also not working your add on GPU may be ok.

NB: Always best to list everything that you have tried in your OP ;)
Yes, it usually beeps once, it's done that since I built it. It still does that, even now when the display remains black and it restarts. When I remove the add on GPU and power up, it beeps 3 short times.

Edit: now when I look on the Mobo, the red VGA light is on.

Last edited:
Yes, it usually beeps once, it's done that since I built it. It still does that, even now when the display remains black
The one beep suggests that your PC hardware is passing the power on self test and that the problem is external, the video cable and/or the screen being the only two things that it could be.

When I remove the add on GPU and power up, it beeps 3 short times.
This supports what has been said above.

Can you post the correct MB details for us so we can check the specs.

JaydeNpie

The one beep suggests that your PC hardware is passing the power on self test and that the problem is external, the video cable and/or the screen being the only two things that it could be.

This supports what has been said above.

Can you post the correct MB details for us so we can check the specs.
It's a MSI Z390-A Pro LGA1151 motherboard

Sorry, should have asked for the same info regarding the screen that you are connecting to.

Thanks, a couple of quotes, an explanation of what we can see and an attachment;

I also ruled out the HMDI cable by using three different ones, and the monitor works fine with other inputs, like my PS4.
My bad, I named them off the top of my head. I already did all of those things.
This only if the monitor info given is correct, the only way of testing the onboard video using your Acer Nitro VG240Y would be by using the VGA port on the MB and the VGA port on the said monitor, this because your MB does not have a HDMI port whereas the monitor has two and likewise your MB has a Display Port but your monitor does not.

Monitor Model Name: VG240Y specs here

MB video ports in the attachment below;

Attachments

JaydeNpie

Thanks, a couple of quotes, an explanation of what we can see and an attachment;

This only if the monitor info given is correct, the only way of testing the onboard video using your Acer Nitro VG240Y would be by using the VGA port on the MB and the VGA port on the said monitor, this because your MB does not have a HDMI port whereas the monitor has two and likewise your MB has a Display Port but your monitor does not.

Monitor Model Name: VG240Y specs here

MB video ports in the attachment below;
I don't have a VGA cable with me. I'll have to buy one and get back to you

JaydeNpie

Thanks for the update (y)

Curious to know how you did this though when your MB does not have any HDMI ports :unsure:
I used 3 HDMI's in the 1060 port, before I tried to run it with the onboard GPU. I should've added that after I switched the PCI slots, it wasn't overheating anymore. My bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online