1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pilbara, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilbara

pilbara Thread Starter

G'day all. here is something that has been bugging me for over two weeks now and it seems as though I am no closer to a solution.
    I am running a pavillion laptop that has performed faultlessly for 18 months. a couple of weeks ago after installing sp 1 I was trying to sync wih my mobile phone when the screen went black or so it seemed at the time, but on closer examination it was found to be just dark. Like really really dark. Like a sheet of black glass was over the screen. Everything was still happening, but I need a torch to get a bright patch of ligh on the screen. I loose he cursor now and then but a quick search with the torch finds the little bugger again. I have tried safe start- removing the battery - disabling a couple of minor apps as suggested by well meaning folk on other forums. I have used system restore - various system tools, all to no avail. Except once when I downloaded some MS updates. After restarting it was like the machine of old until I let it go to sleep after timing out the screensaver instead of shutting it down. When I tried to wake it up it went back to the dark screen again. I dont know what else to try. HP tech support were worse than useless and because I live and work in a remote mining community it is very difficult to get good help.I hope that there is someone out there who may be ble to help. The odd thing is that I am typing this by torchlight. Does any one see the irony there

2. Inneostate

Inneostate

I'm getting the same thing happening with my HP laptop...after I downloaded VISTA updates!! The screen goes dark after it sits idle for a while. No screen saver comes on. And the hardboot up again to get it running eventhough all the power is on. Have you found out what the problem was?

3. pilbara

pilbara Thread Starter

No mate, but there have been lots of theories.Everything from screen failure small apps to be turned on or off, dying battery, faulty wiring and so on. I have mentioned the problem to computer repair people who instantly started to talk about thousand dollar repairs without even seeing the machine. So I will put up with it for another couple of weeks and get my local guy to look at it when I go home. I am pretty sure it is not a serious problem, because it wants to work now and again and it will start with with a full colour screen but that usually clicks to black within a second or two, but on a couple of occasions it has gone okay for up to two hours. It sure is interesting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice