1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

black screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trurolla4life232, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trurolla4life232

trurolla4life232 Thread Starter

Hey all. My laptop starts up normally until its suppose to go to the log on screen, the screen just turns black with the mouse cursor but nothing loads. the mouse moves but nothing loads or happens. Im stumped on how to fix it. I want to keep all the stuff I have on there.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Make and model of laptop please.

3. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums.
    Try starting the lap top in safe mode. While computer is booting, continously gently tap the F8 key. When the safe mode window open, use the arrow keys to move up to "last known good configuration" click enter. Let the computer do it's thing.
    Post back and let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

4. trurolla4life232

trurolla4life232 Thread Starter

its an IBM T60. Ive tried starting in safe mode, it has safemode in the corners and on top but the screen stays black. Ive also tried last known working configuration and that doesn't work as well..

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am reasoanbly certain that this is not the cause,. Do you have a mouse pointer if so try right clicking on the screen and then if a menu appears ensure SHOW Desktop items has a check tick. If it does appear and it is not checked with a tick mark - click on it. If that works go to the bottom of the screen and hold the nouse pointer there does the taskbar appear

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!