1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screen

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tbug, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbug

tbug Thread Starter

Good Day,

Ok first I want to start out by letting you all know when it comes to repair in comp world I am totally lost! I did a search for "Black Screen" in all the forums and received a long list of possible answers but here lies the problem I don't know which "1" is the right answer!

Sooo please excuse that my(a) problem has been posted many times I just want to make sure that I have the right answer..

My daughter has an XPS M1530 Dell laptop running Vista that her husband has been using to go on a facebook/UTUBE where on several occasions the laptop would power off to which he would just power back on and continue doing the same thing...but now when you power on you get a black screen and nothing else...no sound, no response of any kind other than the 3 "lock lights and the top of the keyboard are on... I have removed the battery and plugged it in directly ..no change..

I do not know how to check the laptop by using my desktop monitor.. I do not not know what/how to go from here...Please Help.

My daughter desperately needs her laptop as she is in nursing school and uses it to complete assignments for her classes..

Thank You,

tbug

2. AshleeD

AshleeD

Did you leave it for a while before turning it back on? Sometimes it takes 3 to about 30 minutes before the laptop cools down enough to use it again. First time that happened to me I was in panic mode.

3. tbug

tbug Thread Starter

This has been several days now. When it first happened my daughter brought it to me and I did a search thru Dell.. there is where I was instructed to remove the battery to which I did and then there was a series of steps to try involving the Fn key but did not get very far as when it came to the step involving the "lock lights" I did not get a response listed in their options and could not go any further with the troubleshoot...so in answer to your inquiry the cooling the laptop is not a problem..Thank You for trying hopefully it will be something that simple to fix this.

4. AshleeD

AshleeD

So windows tries to boot and then nothing but a black screen? The caps and numlock comes on.

Can you start in safe mode? Turn on the computer and keep pressing f8 gently until the advanced boot options appear. Select Safe mode.

5. tbug

tbug Thread Starter

First I would like to say Thank You for responding so quickly and trying to help... Now I have a bigger problem and I am afraid that the laptop is terminally as I plugged it in and pressed the power button it came on all the lights did a "tree" lite 1 at a time from one end to the other and back and the power button shut off. I tried twice more to power on the laptop and the same thing.
    Is there HOPE??? She has 1 more semester left and is having to drive either into town to the library/my house(17/22miles) in between driving a school bus/managing rental apartments/mother of 2 small children and classes at night... which leaves about 3hrs sleep time a night.I am not proud to say that we cannot help her financially (getting another comp) and mine we use for our business . So it is really important that we try to fix this one if possible. Sorry about rattling on so..

6. AshleeD

AshleeD

Gee, I couldn't afford a new computer either.

Perhaps the battery is flat and the external power isn't working. Unplug anything connected to the laptop via USB or internet cables, even sd cards (if you have one). Then try plugging it somewhere else and make sure everything's connected properly. Try without the power cord too.

If that doesn't work, you may need a new power cord or something internally is not working. See if you can find a technician that offers free or affordable quotes and they will tell you if it's savable.

I wouldn't write it off just yet.

7. AshleeD

AshleeD

8. AshleeD

AshleeD

I did have a real good look and cannot find any explanation for what (if anything) that light sequence could mean. I did find the person with the same problem saying their laptop is dead, but it may not be related. Why don't you call Dell and ask? Then we'll have a better idea

9. tbug

tbug Thread Starter

Hi AshleeD
    I will check on this Sunday as my daughter has taken ill and I have her kids to watch...will let you know what I find out...again Thank You so much for all your time

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice