1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screened on start up...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ICEBROOD, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

New Member here and more than happy to donate if I can consult when these issue arise and actually able to resolve.
    My issue currently is my Gateway- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Intelcore, ATI Radeon HD5570 6GB DDR3 Computer is black screened. It has done this on occasion before now but has typically resolved itself after shut down and reboot. This time it has not and remains black screened. I have tried everything...shutting down manually over and over....switching monitors....disconnecting all power and cords/internet. I moved the unit to where my back up unit was located and after hooking it all back up with the other monitor etc...the PC booted back up and went to safe mode screen however I accidentally started it in normal mode rather than safe mode which I intended to and always do and since then it has been black screened and fan buzzing. When I say Black Screened I mean totally...no cursor top left and it has not been there upon any reboot. Please advise. Thank You.

2. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Almost 20 views and no replies?? Does or has this never occurred or happened to anyone else....ever? If anyone has a clue I would apppreciate any replies because I have to do something about this soon if it means buying new video card or new PC....or dropping this unit off a bridge. Either way insight would be very helpful.

3. haycg

haycg

4. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Ugh...I did this same search and found that link you added before I came in here and signed up for this site. I guess the tech guy does not have the answer either as the case with all of those suggestions that are in that help section you listed and I have already read.....is that they all call for being able to see something on screen as you can clearly see by the instructions they give you where they say click the taskbar and the arrow down etc etc etc. Its retarded that that is what they offer as the reply to a problem where a person is asking for help because they can NOT see anything but a black screen on their PC. To clarify...I HAVE NOTHING on screen....ZERO...ZILCH at start up...no cursor...no taskbar...no arrow down etc. NOTHING. Therefore the thread MS offers is a complete joke as they guide you as if you can actually see these items on screen they are telling you to click on. Unless somebody offers a key log sequence I can use to get pas this black screen to safe mode...this is futile it would appear. They give an F8 trick to try but I tried it and it did not work.

Thanks for your effort anyways. I started with that site and found the same thing...NOTHING. Which is why I came here next.

5. haycg

haycg

Since you have tried different things, I guess you tried pressing the CTRL, ALT, and Delete Keys at the same time. On my HP computer this brings up a list and the last on the list is Task Manager. If no help is found I guess a computer repair shop.

6. huggie54

huggie54

hiya, what is the exact model you have

7. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Yes...have done the Cntrl/alt/del sequence.

8. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

The model is a Gateway Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ATI Radeon HD5570- 6GB DDR3

9. huggie54

huggie54

is the graphics a pci card or is it integrated,is there two blue coloured monitor connectors on the back

10. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Just one blue connector and the larger white one as well. I have two monitors and one has the blue connector (Samsung) and an older one which has the white connector. I have tried both just as an FYI and neither have made any difference...still black screened immeidately upon start up and does not change. What occurs is the typical single beep you hear and then the fan begins to run quicker than normal and thats how it would stay if I just left the pc on.

11. huggie54

huggie54

if possible can you try a pci graphics card to eliminate if it is the onboard graphics that have shot

12. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

So your suggestion is to buy a graphics card and install it myself?

13. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    What is the Gateway's Model NUMBER?? Also whats the Make, Model, Wattage, and +12V Rail amperage of your PSU??

EDIT:
    Also are you using the blue plug on the upper back of the tower near all the other plugs? Or are you using the set of of plugs closer to the bottom of the tower?

14. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Okay...I am happy to be patient although I am about to buy a new PC because this issue is now going into its second week...heh....but I need you to be pateint too as I am not up on all the jargon nor where to find the info you need. I understand the PSU is the supply unit but no clue where I would find that info you are asking for. As for which plugs I am using...I may have replied incorrectly to an earlier question about the number of BLUE monitor plugs I have. The one I am using is at the bottom beside a white one which although I do not know this stuff very well I am guessing may be a graphics card?? Possibly installed afterwards?? But I may be wrong and honestly do not recall having a new card installed...my apologies on that issue. But I can say there is actually another blue plug higher up closer to the side which has been capped off and I just realized this now after looking closer and pulling the cap out which at first glance just looks like a protrusion from the back of the unit and I would have never realized it was another plug until I tried to wiggle the top off it. So my next question is....would that be the original factory graphics card if in fact this unit has been upgraded with a new card?? Or am I totally off base and way ahead of myself here.

Please tell me where I can find that info you need (given my manuals have all vanished/ 3 teens actively using this unit all along) if you can. I do have a number I can give you that may be the Gateway Model number you seek...would this be it? DX4840-15c . Thks in advance for your patience as well.

15. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

I can also tell you the unit is used for MMO gaming and the video quality has always been very good, so perhaps a video card was installed at some point but I just don't recall....again sorry for that, I should know but I am not the only person who has taken it in for repair in the house here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice