1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Black Screened on start up...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ICEBROOD, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huggie54

huggie54

connect the monitor with the blue connecter to the port at the top and try startup.if not work power off the pc open the side and remove the graphics card(the one at the bottom with a blue and white connecters) if not sure how it is done ask a friend or simply google (how to remove graphics card).once card is removed try startup again

2. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

I had a hunch that would be your next bit of advice. I will try that and report back. If the PC starts up using the integreated card and works...will this mean my graphics will no longer handle gaming and I will still need to replce the video card? I ask this because I figure I will go buy a new card before tearing it apart if so...in the mean time I will start the process. Thks.

3. huggie54

huggie54

before buying a new card you should try it in a different pc,as for gaming the integrated graphics are not as good

4. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

And if after I try the other plug etc and I am still black screened...does that mean the PC is shot?

5. huggie54

huggie54

step at a time

6. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Okay so the unit has been back up and running and am using the integrated blue plug graphics card. I have also DL AVG Tune up to help the process since and it seems to be running smoothly for the most part however the fan still seems to be running well beyond the speed it formerly did and I am unable to log onto an MMO game that I was formerly able too, Lord of the Rings Online. I have not removed the old card yet as I was following directions to first try the integrated video plug. Is there a conflict now with using the integrated card and still having the other card installed that is causing the fan to run? I have tried another MMO game to check the graphics and they are unsatisfactory given the former performance so I am most likely going to go buy a new Video card to install but want to insure there are not deeper problems with this fan running before I spend the money? Will removing the other card resolve this fan issue?

7. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

PS- There is a pop up from ATI Catalyst control on start up now that was not formerly there. I believe it says something about either activating the program or updating the drivers? I tried to find out where the drivers might be thru the normal Windows Control Panel but it did not seem to be there or at least I was unable to find it? Would it still be listed if its not being used? What should I do....consult the site for ATI to find the drivers or is it just s standard message coming up now that its not being used and can I assume the Video card is scrap when it went black screened or could that problem possibly have been caused but just an outdated driver and I should seek to resolve that issue. I don't want to waste time trying to find the right driver and fix the card if it in fact is scrap. Remember it was totally black screened prior to this without even a cursor flashing on screen.

8. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

PPS- You all have been very helpful btw and its much appreciated after my experience with the MS community of donkey all stars. They have no clue. Highly recommend NOT consulting that site to anyone seeking help. So far this site seems far superior in knowledge base.

9. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

I also wanted to bring this to everyones attention...I just confirmed this but I have been having Windows update prompt me for several months regarding the exact same update which I was unaware was actually a copy of the same update they have been asking me to instal over and over and over. I went into the View Updates log and realized the same update has been installed at least 60-70 times. It was first installed back in Nov 2012 and was again installed back in March 2013. Since March it has been installed dozens of times which I was not aware of as I typically just allow and trust Windows update prompt to manage this. Could this update installing over and over again be part of my problem either with the graphics or the fan issue? Here is a copy of the update...

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)
    Installation date: ‎18/‎06/‎2013 4:49 PM
    Installation status: Successful
    Update type: Important
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
    More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237373
    Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Either way..the update is annoying and seems to always be prompted as the 1 important update and always accompanied with 17 Optional updates.
    Thanks again.

10. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Well...No reply to that update issue above yet but thats okay because I have more news about the original issue for you guys to assess. I decided to go out and buy a new Video card...its the best one I could find at Future Shop...Its a ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 650Ti. I read the directions and removed old card after I cleaned the dust throughly out of the case and was very careful. I installed the new card back into the same slot where the other was removed. The card came with a power supply harness that they say should be connected to power supply if you have an onboard VGA which I do so I attached it to the only cord abvailable inside the case that the adapter coupled with. I then started the unit up with the monitor connected to the new video card port and it was black screened. So I turned it off and attached the monitor to the onboard videocard I had been using and everything came back and I was able to see the screen. The PC detected new hardware and installed drivers etc etc. I then removed old ATI program that ran the former vid card as they tell you to do and rebooted with monitor now attached to the new port on the new Geforce Video card. When it booted up it took its time and then when the after the log in screen my screen now had the default Gateway screensaver with all of mydesktop icons on it however not one of them would work when I tried to aconnect to the internet through one of the saved websties. The message kept coming up Internet Explorer has stopped working. The unit since then has constantly perfomred disk checks and mini dumps since trying to reboot and get some sort of proper function out of it. The AVG Fine tune I installed yesterday is not detecting anything serious forthe operations issue but the unit as I type this continues to restart on its own going through the disk check etc etc. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

11. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok first of all, I lost track of this thread so bear with me. You have COMPLETELY removed the ATI software, correct? Have now installed Nvidia card with Updatred drivers, correct? I do NOT RECOMMEND using ANY registry cleaners (hoping you didn't) or "tune up" utilitys. They cause more harm then good. Now as for the onboard vs PCIE card issue, If you were having the ability to use onboard graphics WITH the addin card inserted, that means you need to MAKE sure your BIOS is set to use the PCIE/add-in card. Now as for the adapter, if you dont have te 6/8pin connector on the PSU then you have to use the adapter. I may have already asked, but whats the Make, Model, Wattage and +12V Rail Amperage on your PSU? You may have to run this ATI removal tool to fully rid yourself of ALL the ATI software. Take off the case and look at the BIG power unit and look for a stamp or label for the info I need.

12. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I did reply to your question about the PSU stating I have no idea where to obtain tat info for you? Is it somewhere in the pc I can view on screen to relay to you? I believe the PSU has plenty of supply if thats the question but will certainly confirm for you. I need to add that I really need step by step directions here as I am not a techy but I am certainly a very capable person and a quick learner if given clear directions which is why I am hoping to resolve this with your help other than taking it too a PC shop. The reason being is I first off want to better understand why these issues occur and how to resolve them and also because I don't have a great deal of trust with some of the PC repair places out there thinking they often run a quick diagnostics which solves the issue swiftly and then charge you huge telling you all this BS about what they had to do to fix things. Call me jaded...or a skeptic at least....lol. I really hope that "Tune Up" issue is not going to be a problem because I bought the online AVG Tune Up whcih I have had their Virus software Free Eedition running for years and always had great success with it so I trusted its tune up to be of similar ilk. Hoping that was not a mistake because I have run the program before the Nvidia card addition and afterwards to I believe when these other issues arose. It was the one step click processs and it didn't seem to find too much after the install. I can tell you that the machine was running well using the onboard Video card after I swapped from the one blue plug of the old ATI card to the integreated blue plug and that was consistent after I did a Tune Up as well. All of the other issues have occurred since trying to swap out the old and new Vid cards.
    I have no idea either how to preform that your direction of "MAKE sure your BIOS is set to use the PCIE/add-in card"? If you can step me thru that I will try it. Just to be clear...I was able to use the onboard vid card with the old ATI Radeon Card installed. Since instaling the Nvidia I am now not able to se the screen if I switch back to the integrated plug with my Monitor which I tried after having issues once the new Nvidia Card was installed. As I said I am not even able to use Internet Explorer, my restore points are gone or not obtainable for some reason and seems many of my windows functions no longer work....simply goes to the screen and attempts to open but stalls ans does nothing. I have had a blue screen occur on occasion and started in safe mode many times. The only thing that still seems remotely the same as it was is my desk top shortcuts are still there but with the Gateway screensaver in the background and all my tool bar pinned programs are gone as are my persnalizations of my desktop (colors, screensaver/background pics) etc etc. I can NOT connect to the internet if I havent said that already...on that unit I mean. This unit is my back up. I will wait to hear your advice on the BIOS issue before I use the ATI clean tool above. Thks again.

13. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

Great Band btw....One of my all time favs...lol. Was just listening to their albums this weekend.

14. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well seeing as you have the NVIDIA card as the one you WANT AND PLAN TO USE you need to run that tool under windows. Now as to the BIOS if you give us (mightve asked for this before) the EXACT Model Name (which is Gateway correct?) Now there should be a STICKER of sorts proibably white with black writing that will say M/N ****** or S/N ***** or Model ****** . Now we need this info in order to make sure we know what pc you have. Also i'll try to find your manual after you provide me this info so I can tell you more specifically what to look for in the BIOS.

15. ICEBROOD

ICEBROOD Thread Starter

DX4840-15c ????? That is the number on the top right of the sticker and I supplied it above?? Would that be it?? If not I will need to know where I am too look for it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice