Solved Black Screened Windows 10

ItsJacky

I am currently running Windows 10 (I have recently updated to the newest version in hope it would fix, but didn't)

Recently i have moved my PC to a new case with a new motherboard (ASUS H110M-K). When I first turned it on I started to download my internet and graphics drivers but suddenly it blue screened and said windows ran into a problem, the PC proceeded to restart. once the PC had turned on again, the screen was just black.... (After logging into my PC user account)... All what I could do and see was black screen, mouse cursor and use key binds.

My computer is connected to the correct display and there is no screen brightness option. How do I know this? Because i can open the internet browser through Task Manager.

I have tried to reboot the PC many times, i have tried safe mode and even that is black screened, I have tried to delete and reinstall drivers, I have tried to rewind the PC back to a point (in advanced options)... nothing seems to be working. I have even tried following several videos to help me and fix this issue I am having, but nothing is working.

Kind regards and Thanks in Advance,
ItsJacky

Attachments

Last edited:

crjdriver

You have more than one problem;
1 You need a new windows lic. The OEM type windows lic [what comes on a dell, hp, whatever] is valid with the original hardware only. You change the motherboard and you need a new copy of windows. Microsoft is better about product activation now and [sometimes] if you associate your windows lic with your microsoft account, it will activate. Sometimes yes and sometimes no
Recently i have moved my PC to a new case with a new motherboard (ASUS H110M-K).
That motherboard is now over 5yr old. Are these used parts or what?
3 You cannot install a different motherboard and expect windows to work correctly unless you follow the procedure outlined at the top of the forum for this task

Here is what I would do;
1 Purchase a new windows lic
2 Go to the support page for your motherboard; H110M-K Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA
3 Download the drivers you are going to need ie chipset, sound, etc. Put these on a flash drive, external, whatever.
4 Go to the media creation tool page; Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) Make a bootable install usb
5 Have only the drive on which you intend on installing windows connected. Boot the system with the usb and clean install windows; deleting ALL partitions on the drive. Note this will destroy ALL data on the drive so be sure and have a backup of anything you want to save. Once done with the windows install, now install the drivers you downloaded in step #2

crjdriver

You may have additional hardware problems however fix one issue at a time. Clean install windows with a proper lic; install your drivers then we can move on to further troubleshooting [if necessary]

ItsJacky

First of all, thank you for taking the time to explain in full what the issues are and how to resolve them.
This is my first (semi) build and I have been struggling.

Are these used parts or what?
The only used parts in the build currently are: core i7 6700k, CPU Fan, RAM, 1TB Hardrive. I had only gotten the ASUS H110M-K because I was struggling to find a motherboard which was compatible, especially because I was unsure which CPU Socket which was required and if the motherboard would support my other components...

Have only the drive on which you intend on installing windows connected.
I only have one drive which is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda (came with the retail PC and had windows installed on that). So does this mean I will need a new hardrive/SSD? And/or will I need to remove windows 10 from the barracuda hardrive?

You need a new windows lic.
1) Is it ok to use license keys which appear to be very cheap and cost under £2, these are Windows 10 Professional Edition.
2) Would I be able to upgrade from Home to Professional without any issues?
3) Windows 7 is free, and windows 7 has an optional free upgrade to windows 10, would I still be eligible to upgrade to windows 10 if I were to download windows 7 first?

crjdriver

No, you do not need a new hard drive.
Is it ok to use license keys which appear to be very cheap and cost under £2, these are Windows 10 Professional Edition.
No. They are usually volume lic keys and may work initially however they will deactivate after a while.
Would I be able to upgrade from Home to Professional without any issues?
I am not a big fan of inplace upgrades however [most of the time] if there are no problems with the current install, you can upgrade it.
Windows 7 is free, and windows 7 has an optional free upgrade to windows 10, would I still be eligible to upgrade to windows 10 if I were to download windows 7 first?
Windows 7 is not free. If you have a valid win7 key, you can most likely install win10 using the win7 key.

ItsJacky

No, you do not need a new hard drive.

No. They are usually volume lic keys and may work initially however they will deactivate after a while.

I am not a big fan of inplace upgrades however [most of the time] if there are no problems with the current install, you can upgrade it.

Windows 7 is not free. If you have a valid win7 key, you can most likely install win10 using the win7 key.

Ok, I have prepared a few things.... Moved most of my data over to an external hardrive, downloaded the Media Creation Tool on my laptop, got my product key (wrote a script to grab it) which supposedly can be used to activate windows again? Please correct me if I am wrong. All what I need now is to find a USB with at least 8GB storage and download windows 10 Creation on to there.

Would some of my files be corrupt for moving everything over?
can the product key be used as a license key to activate windows?

P.S.
Thank you so much for all of the help! It means a lot to me and saved me from screwing up my PC (more)
:D

crjdriver

Would some of my files be corrupt for moving everything over?
Files are not going to be corrupted unless there is something wrong with the media or you made an error in copying.
can the product key be used as a license key to activate windows?
If it is a valid key, then yes. Remember OEM type keys that come on a dell, hp, etc cannot be used with a real motherboard like an asus. If this is a valid retail key, then no problem. The only way you are going to find out is to try it and see. As I said, microsoft has gotten more lenient with product activation. Sometimes if your key does not work and you call ms, they will give you a new key; again sometimes.

ItsJacky

Files are not going to be corrupted unless there is something wrong with the media or you made an error in copying.
ok good.
If it is a valid key, then yes. Remember OEM type keys that come on a dell, hp, etc cannot be used with a real motherboard like an asus. If this is a valid retail key, then no problem. The only way you are going to find out is to try it and see. As I said, microsoft has gotten more lenient with product activation. Sometimes if your key does not work and you call ms, they will give you a new key; again sometimes.
I hope it works... I did do some research earlier and I found that as long as it is 25 chars long, it should work (and mine is 25 chars). In the depressing event of the key not working, hopefully when i log into my Microsoft account that may hopefully work, if not i will try to call them.

I will let you know if this worked.

Once again thank you so much!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online