1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blacked out icons

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Out2lunch, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Out2lunch

Out2lunch Thread Starter

Any help on this would be appreciated. I am running Windows ME. I updated my McAfee service and downloaded Yahoo IM. Since that time, all my program icons, both in the task bar and in the program listing, are blacked out. What is causing this? I uninstalled and did a clean install of McAfee per their suggestions, but nothing is changing :confused: Any ideas?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Have you upgraded to IE 6 recently?

3. Out2lunch

Out2lunch Thread Starter

I have TRIED to upgrade to IE6.0, however when I run setup, if fails to load. I also have no SOUND!

4. Cheeseball81

Are you able to access the START button?

5. Out2lunch

Out2lunch Thread Starter

Yes, I can access the start button. Where to now?

6. Cheeseball81

You mentioned that you tried upgrading IE to 6, but it never worked. So I'm assuming you still have 5.5?

This article may be of some help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;133733

ir you could try reinstalling IE

or there is a program from Microsoft called Power Toys in TweakUI
    I think it repairs and rebuilds icons

7. Cheeseball81

Oh and as for sound, are your soundcard drivers updated?

8. Out2lunch

Out2lunch Thread Starter

Nothing is updated (except McAfee). All this began when I did the last update from them. I cannot complete a setup of Windows update or IE update. I seriously doubt at this point if I could update a sound card (even if I knew which one I had!*!*!*)

9. Miz

Miz

For the icon problem, after making sure hidden files are showing (My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab, check "Show hidden files and folders," click OK), use the Find feature to locate "shelliconcache." Delete it and reboot. Windows will build a new one which fixes the blacked-out icon problem most of the time.

To find out the make and model of your sound card, download, install and run Everest Home Edition. Once you have that information, you can go to the manufacturer's site and get the latest drivers. There should be instructions on the driver download page on how to install them.

Have you tried just disabling McAfee (right click on its icon in the system tray - area around the clock on the right-hand end of the task bar - and chose "Disable" or "Turn off" or whatever terminology they use) and seeing if the Windows Update will then work? I always disable whatever anti-virus that may be running when updating Windows on a customer's machine.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice