1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blackness... What to fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KablooieXL, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KablooieXL

KablooieXL Thread Starter

Hey guys!

I got a question for ya... I'm trying to fix my sister's puter, which broke down 4 days ago. Problem is, it's not quite clear what the problem is. When I turn on her puter, the screen stays black and there seems to be no start-up activity whatsoever. The HD's do give lifesigns, but there's no loading. I've tried to narrow the problem down by doing :

1. Check the vidcard by switching from her card to the onboard card : no change
    2. Check the harddrives by disconnecting them both and reboot. No bleeps, no alerts, no nothing. Then I put her main HD drive in my puter, and it was fine.
    3. Check the dvd drives by disconnecting them and rebooting : no change
    4. Check the RAM by removing it from the slot and restarted. On startup the 'no memory BEEP' sounded.

The puter does get power from the PSU, which is still fine coz I only installed it a couple of months ago. I kinda doubt that it's the CPU, coz as far as I know, there SHOULD still be some screen activity, but like I said, the screen stays black on startup and there's no loading activity, no bleeps, just death and dispair ;) Even tho the monitor is kinda old and not working well, at startup the puter SHOULD startup/load even if the monitor doesn't work. SO, the only logical explanation I can come up with is that the motherboard is bust... So today we're planning on buying a new one... But before we do and waste money, I'd like to hear from you guys what you think the problem could be. Am I right to assume it's the motherboard? thanks in advance for your input!

Greetz
    KablooieXL

2. smbd

smbd

If there are no sound signals after you turn the computer on it is certainly a motherboard problem.

3. KablooieXL

KablooieXL Thread Starter

well, there IS the "no memory" BEEP after removing the RAM... But no beep after disconnecting the harddisks (not totally sure if there SHOULD be bleeps then...).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice