1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank boxes in taskbar (Win98SE)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DonW, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonW

DonW Thread Starter

I have a PIII 866 running Win98SE. I keep getting blank boxes in my taskbar whenever I close an application. The applications range from Office 2000 apps to almost anything else that I have running but it happens with every app. All I have to do is click once on the box and it goes away but I don't know what's causing them to stay in the taskbar after the app is closed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    P.S. - I had Mcafee's antivirus running but I've uninstalled that to see if it stops the problem....it doesn't. Prior to uninstalling it, I updated my virus signature and scanned my hard drive but there are no viruses detected.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Might be a video problem where your display isn't refreshing correctly. The same thing happens occaisionally on mine at home, but not the frequency you are describing. I would look for updated video drivers and ensure the monitor type and refresh rates are set correctly.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I found this a while ago. Maybe it will help you out.

Mystery blank buttons from http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/taskbar.htm#TASKBAR5
    This information was posted Jim Inacker in a News Group.

Ghost Button Resolution for Win98SE

If you are using Windows 98 SE and installed either the May 22, 2000 Critical Update
    or the Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update or the
    Windows 98 SE 1394 Storage Supplement you may experience ghost buttons on the Taskbar.

The ghost buttons appear to be the result of interactions between existing applications and
    newer versions of user.exe and user32.dll installed by those updates.

If your system DOES NOT REQUIRE those updates, you can uninstall them by searching your hard
    drive for the associated uninstall inf file. Right click on the uninstall inf file select
    install and then reboot at the prompt.

May 22, 2000 Critical Update 260067un.inf
    Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update 260067un.inf
    Windows 98 Second Edition 1394 Storage Supplement 242975un.inf

If all goes well you should end up with user.exe and user32.dll version 4.10.2222.

This resolution and the file version numbers listed apply to Windows 98 SE.
    Any added functionality provided by the newer versions of user.exe and user32.dll will be lost.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I should add. To check which updates you have on your computer. Go to start>run and type
    Qfecheck.
    If you see one of those, it's up to you whether or not you want to uninstall it.

The uninstalls are located in
    C:\windows\inf\qfe
    And then you would look in the Windows98 Folder.
    Be careful here. These are uninstalls. Right click and choose install to perform the uninstall.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe

Thanks to this old thread, I just fixed the "mystery blank buttons" problem on my W98se taskbar. I did so by uninstalling the 260067 update using the method explained above. I removed only the one update, and that seems to have fixed the problem. This restored the User.exe & User32.dll files back to version 4.10.2222

I am writing this reply to thank Mosaic1 for the info, and to let other W98se users know about this.

Old Joe

6. oldjoe

oldjoe

Follow up info:
    I ran Belarc Advisor the day after this change.

Update 260067 is now missing from the list of updates, as it should be.

However, update 242975 now has a red X next to it on the list, and a comment
    saying to reinstall it.

The two updates must be related, possibly by using the same dependent files.

What should I do now?
    a) Uninstall 242975
    b) Reinstall 242975
    c) Leave it as it is.

I'm doing "c", until someone tells me otherwise.

OldJoe

7. Kitch

Kitch

What should I do now?
    a) Uninstall 242975
    b) Reinstall 242975
    c) Leave it as it is.

I'm doing "c", until someone tells me otherwise.

OldJoe[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion, but any update that causes problems like this is not worth
    worrying about. I'd sooner take my chances & have a computer that works
    properly, rather than being bogged down with problematic patches..... :mad:

8. oldjoe

oldjoe

Kitch,
    Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with choice "c"...
    OldJoe

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice