1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank Desktop after Exiting full screen Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lazyb, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazyb

Lazyb Thread Starter

Recently I've been experiencing a problem whereby when I exit a full screen game which should go back to the desktop it often goes back to a blank desktop - what appears to be a black screen aside from the mouse (which moves fine).

Although programs that were already there (such as winamp or media players) can still function via keyboard shortcuts I can't start anything new. Worse still I can't ctrl+alt+del to the task manager or bring up the start menu and the only way to get out of this (that I have found) is to manuall reboot the pc.

I have my graphics card updated to the newest drivers (91.31) and I am using the most recent directx (9.0c).

This has happened with a variety of games: Warhammer40K Dawn of War, Half Life 2 as well as Broken Sword 1 and 2, and several other games that run in full screen mode.

If it helps I am using a CRT monitor (aprox 18months old) running in 1024x768 at 32bit colours, refresh rate 85hz (highest I can get on this monitor).

Can anyone help me with this because it is really starting to frustrate me

2. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

this is currently a problem with the new nvidia drivers this happens when the drivers fail to switch the videocard into 2d mode after the game closes.

usually you will be unable to get the picture back and if you try anything such as going into standby mode and try to come out of standby, the pc will come out of standby but the monitor will not turn on, the power light on the monitor will remain a amber color.

3. Lazyb

Lazyb Thread Starter

Thank you for the speedy response :)

So is there no solution until new drivers are released? Or would it be worthwhile trying some of the previous drivers?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!