1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank desktop and no start menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kderco, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

Hi Hopefully someone can help me. I have been on the phone with tech people the past 2 days. Yesterday when I went to sign on to my computer. I got a blue screen with hp invent in the right hand corner. Nothing else. I don't have a start menu/bar at the bottom of my computer and there is nothing on my desktop. I can sign on to AOL but only if I do ctrl-alt-delete and find AOL and then start it up from the very beginning. Can one of you wonderful people help me because I am a Realtor and I neeeeeeeeed my computer all day and some times all night. How do I get my desktop and start menu back. Please Help. Thank you!

2. mobo

mobo

Have you tried the safe mode route and tried getting to windows that way or last known good configuration ?

3. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

Yes I tried that! THanks!

4. mobo

mobo

Have you tried a repair with the xp cd rom ?

5. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

I am sort of brain dead. How do I do that?
    Kelly

6. Miz

Miz

More often than not, the symptoms you describe are due to video card drivers.

Go into Safe Mode, right click on My Computer, go to the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager button. Click on the plus sign to the left of Display Adapters. Right click on the adapter listed and choose Uninstall. There will be the usual Dire Warning...tell it OK or Yes or whatever it requires to make it shut up and go away. ;) Then reboot and let Windows reinstall the drivers.

Most of the time, that solves the "blank desktop on bootup" problem.

7. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I will try it now.
    Kelly

8. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

ok I tried going into safe mode but there is no "my computer" to right click on!

9. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

Ok I think I found out what is wrong. I went into a program call pc doctor for windows and My Network Test FAILED- it said COund not find remote host for testing. Does this help anyone figure out my problem?
    Thanks in advance!

10. mobo

mobo

If you can boot into safe mode again please try a system restore to the date just before the problem began.

Safe mode: Start tapping the f8 key immediately on reboot and when a black screen with white lettering comes up select safe mode.

11. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Try going CTRL-ALT-DEL and starting this task:
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    OR
    C:\WINNT\EXPLORER.EXE

12. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

13. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

MR WEBMASTER- I tried both things you told me to and they did not work. But thank you so much and if you can think of anything else let me know. I guess I am in pretty bad shape.
    Kelly

14. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

The only difference between c:\winnt and c:\ windows is the winnt folder is NT/2000 Windows folder, and the Windows folder is the XP windows folder.

Did you try the re-instillation?

15. kderco

kderco Thread Starter

Yes I tried to re install windows xp and still no luck.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice