1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank Laptop screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B_radical, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

Ok, I have left you guys as a last resort as I have asked just about everyone I know with a computer.

Missus was using the lappy today and it froze, she pushed a **** load of buttons to no avail so held down off and then started it up again. Now I have a black screen. It still boots up and you can hear it running away happily, but no pic at all. Tried pluging another monitor in the back but still nothing. I also cant seem to get to the BIOS setion at the start, I tried every single F key possible on start up, even esc. When it starts it makes no beeps at all. just a couple of clicks then the usual humming noise as per usual. One person mention to me the Projector function so as was with his laptop I tried pushing fn and F5 and F8. I did get a screen msg in the end, so I guess I can rule out the broken screen theory

the msg read as follows:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    System32DriversNtfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

No I inserted my Windows disk but it wont run. It will spin it for about 5 seconds then nothing. I tried pressing 'r' on this screen and also reboot with the disk in. Nothing?

I have also noticed when I start the laptop with the power plugged in, it goes straight into charge mode, which I thought only occored when the computer was in a standby mode? I dont remember seeing it light up when booting.

Hope I left enough info for someone to give me a possible solution.

Cheers............Brad

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The make and model would be handy. Sounds like you need to know the BIOS access key to set the CD to be the first boot device first.

Not knowing the make/model limits this somewhat.

3. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

Its an Optima Centoris and it runs a AMD Athlon processor.It looks about 3-5 years old? Unfortunatly I never recieved a manual when I got it over a year ago and unable to get anymore details without being able to get into it.

4. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

The more I play with it the more I think the HD isnt actually spinning at all. I think all I can hear switching on and off is the fan. Could a dodgey HD not allow me to access my BIOS? Should I be able to open the BIOS if the HD was taken out?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A dodgy HD would not prevent a boot to BIOS. Starting to sound like its a major fault (most laptop faults tend to be major).

The freeze may have been the result of the major (hardware) problem, the "button pushing" that followed is probably of no importance as to cause.

6. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

It's gone to the computer shop. If it was something fixable I'll be sure to let you know what the problem is. Although the repair man says it sounds as though it was an internal hardware fault and there is a good chance its un-repairable

Thanks again for all the help

Brad

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice