1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blank monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grizz g, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grizz g

grizz g Thread Starter

A friend has asked me to install Windows 95. He gave me his computer and monitor, when I turn them on, the computer starts, however, the monitor goes to a blank screen [ no c prompt]. The monitor is connected ok and works as i swapped it with mine and all okay. I have connected mine to it and same result, just a blank screen. Unless I can get the c prompt I'm stuffed! I have floppies for video drivers but they are not much help.

2. Casey820

Casey820

Try booting into safe mode. It sounds like your friend may have selected a resolution or color depth that this monitor can't display.

3. grizz g

grizz g Thread Starter

Can't, just a blank white screen!

U start the computer and it seems to load ok [sound wise] and the screen just stays blank [white]. No dos prompt or anything. I started with a Win 95 startup disk and screen the same?

4. Casey820

Casey820

The monitor's shot. Time for a new one.

5. grizz g

grizz g Thread Starter

No, I connected it to my computer and it works fine. I connected mine to the other one and the same result. I'm wondering if there is in fact nothing on the other computer? I mean nothing?

6. n2gun

n2gun

try booting with a floppy disk. From there would could reinstall windows if need be.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I've seen this before, many times. The Windows installation is corrupted. Even if you manage to get a screen, there will probably be many other problems and headaches. If you are installing a new copy of Windows, anyway, just boot the computer with a Windows 98 startup disk and reload Windows from scratch. When I write "reload from scratch", I mean to convey that reloading Windows over the current copy will do no good. You must delete the current Windows folder first.

After booting with a Windows 98 boot disk, here are the commands you type at the DOS prompt. Be sure you type these commands accurately; missing one character will cause it not to work at all or may cause an unintended result:
    c:
    cd\
    copy c:\Windows\command\attrib.*
    copy C:\Windows\command\deltree.*
    copy C:\Windows\command\move.*
    attrib -r -h -s *.*
    deltree /y C:\Windows
    Move Progra~1 Prog_Old
    del *.1st
    del *.dat

The deltree /y Windows line may take some time, maybe up to twenty minutes. It depends on your system. After these lines are complete, you can install Windows clean, then install all your programs.

The nice thing about doing it this way (instead of formatting the hard disk) is that you preserve your user-created data. You have also simply renamed (Move is the DOS command for Rename) the Program Files folder instead of deleting it. This way, you can retrieve any user-created data later from the Prog_Old folder, if any.

8. grizz g

grizz g Thread Starter

The problem is I have no C Prompt. I can fix it from there onwards, but the screen is just blank [ white/grey] The monitor works fine on my computer so it is not the monitor itself. I put my monitor on it and the same result?

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well the next thing to check would be the vid card, get another one to try. Someone, or a local shop, should have Win95 era cards laying around almost free for the taking. I usually see piles of them at computer shows for under $10. You should do you friend a favor and give him Win98, at least.

10. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I agree; if you can't get a screen with a boot disk, you have a hardware problem. This has nothing to do with the OS.

11. grizz g

grizz g Thread Starter

Thanks heaps, I'll try it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/130644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice