1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank Monitor??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superbug90, Sep 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. superbug90

superbug90 Thread Starter

Hi, I have built a system with a pc chips M741 lmrt Motherboard (onboard 8mb video,sound,lan,mod. modem), 400 celeron slot 1 processor,64 meg ram(16 compaq,32 + 16 seimens),32x cd,6 gig hd

Anyway,when i turn it on for the first time the monitor is blank, But it sounds like it is booting up.I am stumped???

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

not insulting you intelliegence, but check the contrast and brightness on your monitor. Also check all cables and maybe remove any expansion cards to see if they are causing the problem.

3. superbug90

Been there done that!

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

If you have the option of trying your monitor out on another computer, then try that if you haven't already.

At least that way you'll know if it is the monitor or not

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

you manual says before installing the motherboard, make sure j9 is set to the normal setting. which is short pins 1 and 2.

j9 clears the cmos. they recommend you check that cuz somebody must not be putting the jumpers on right.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

it also say that there must be a memory module installed in dimm1 so the vga can share the system memory.

also make sure j20 is set for your processor type whcih would be slot 1 so short pins 2 and 3

7. superbug90

all my jumper settings are right,my monitor works & there is ram in all slots. Any more ideas?

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Well you can try just putting in one stick of ram in the first slot if you haven't already tried that. Also check you processor is seated correctly. If all else fails, it is totally possible that your motherboard is messed up somehow. Just wanted you to confirm. When you load up your computer, you can't even see anything and therefore, you cannot even get into the bios cuz you cannot see anything?

I am beginning to think that it is either something really stupid that we have not thought of, or the motherboard is junk.

Never had a pc chips board, but know people who have had problems with them, but then again, at least one person has a problem with every brand model of motherboard.

so if you just built the system and you can return the motherboard, that might be the way to go.

Also check to see that you are not shorting out the motherboard anywhere to the case (if metal/conducting).

also try disconnecting your hard drive and just loading up with a startup floppy. That will probably elimate the hard drive as a problem.

same with cd drives and everything.

just have the processor, one stick of memory and the floppy drive. and nothing else.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/54307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice