1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen after first installation reboot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by djangojazz, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djangojazz

djangojazz Thread Starter

Same thing here, and everyone thinks it's just me not knowing how load an OS or something. When did you do your download? I did mine with the advice of Windows to use their Akkamai download 3rd party too. It loaded the same ISO everyone else seems to have. It installed to my 2nd harddrive but I get the black screen of death too. I thought: "It's a new OS Beta, maybe it's still installing instruction sets". Well I can say I let my harddrive and PC hum away for about an hour which was longer than the whole time it took to get to that point and nothing. I think I'm going to just order the DVD and see if that helps.

Does anyone know if you have the file system already set to the NTFS format for your harddisk but it has info on it already if that may cause this? Also the boot path I was told is defaulted to your C drive and on looking at my boot log it gives a warning to reset a boot.exe file. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, people were starting to make me feel like I was nuts or something.

Also if you are just going to say "Well it worked for me" that's not really helping at all.

2. Will_5600

Will_5600

if you can get into safe mode shut down computer F8 when starting up right click on my computer click on advanced tab start up and recovery on defalt operating system select vista or something not sure what it would say for vista because i dont use it hope this helps

3. djangojazz

Yeah the default OS is still XP, I tried to run all the command start modes for the OS, safe, debug mode, allowed unauthorized drivers, etc. All of them gave the black screen of death. I'm thinking it has to do with the bootlog and installing it to a 2nd disk not liking that. Hmmm do I really want to try to overwrite XP just to test a beta??? I don't know, maybe it would take over 8 hours to get my crap back if it doesn't work. Maybe when I get the disk I'll get that desperate, I'm going to mess around with MSDEDIT.exe boot Warning message I was seeing and if that doesn't help I'm done for a while with it.

4. djangojazz

I do not have SLI installed. At this point if you are sure that it works what would you do just have me reformat my 2nd harddrive and download the new drivers? Thanks for the tip though I'll try it regardless and let you guys know if I get in too.

5. djangojazz

That did not work since I have one card, if you try to download the driver while in XP it won't work it stops and says it's meant for Vista. I unplugged the cable and went to just the VGA and it didn't work. Hmmmm maybe I should take the card completely out, check that XP can run fine with my MOBO connection to the standard no fuss no special effects standard chipset driver first then I can eliminate it's not just Nvidia drivers for graphics. Ahhh well maybe I just wasn't meant to run Vista it seems.

6. VerbalTachi

VerbalTachi

Try this, download the Nvidia Vista Drivers, Unpack them and Burn it to a CD. Reboot and insert your Vista DVD. There's a window that'll have an option to install drivers before Vista is installed in your PC. Install the drivers you downloaded and install Vista. Let me know if that works.

~Jay

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

8. bryan_t_07

bryan_t_07

i had this same problem i have 2 ide hard drives and a sata hard drive i was trying to install it on my 80GB hard which i use for operating systems and the other 2 for my files i had no problems before with xp
    i sat for hours trying to install vista i tried formating the drives several times then i removed the sata hard drive and tried a clean install and it worked 1st try without any problems at all

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice