1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen after startup - BSOD in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gorillakid, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorillakid

Gorillakid Thread Starter

First I'd like to apologize in advance if my grammar and typing suck; currently on my iPad since I have no pc at the moment. :(

Computer info from what I can remember:
    Dell XPS 210 running XP media edition sp2(Before said problem below)
    3 gigs RAM
    500 gig HD
    1.8Ghtz intel 2
    ATI Radeon x1300 pro

So today after I got home from class I decided to install MS Office 2010. Went for it but an error message popped up telling me I needed to be running sp3(I know it's been a while since I updated). So I do that and say "whatahell ill upload my video drivers too"(hadn't done this n a while too). The sp3 update goes smoothly as far as I can tell but the driver update shoots an error near the end. I'm seriously sorry but I can't remember exactly what it said since its been like 4 hours since this occurred. Anyways I press ok and the video driver update just let's me know I need to restart my pc as well as the sp3 update (no they weren't done at the same time. I did the sp3 first and waited for it to finish before staring the video drive update.).

Before doing this, a bad ache in my stomach came up in my stomach and reminded to make a recovery point in case **** hits the fan. Why do I say bad ache? Some 5 years ago, at separate occasions, a windows update ended in a bsod and a video driver update in the same shoes. They both caused massive data lost and a full reinstall action :(

So I make the recovery point and restart. Dell logo shows up then after the windows logo, just as usual. Then this is where everything goes to ****. Instead of my desktop, I'm greeted by a black blank screen with nothing else but my mouse cursor. NOTHING!!!!! I try hovering around, click, nothing happens, nothing to click on drag around etc. keyboard useless, not taking any input from me, the scroll lock and caps lock light wouldn't even come on. I then restart thinking it'll be fixed; same thing, I realized this time that if I click more then 5 times my GPU beeps and the mouse freezes and stays like that unless I restart. At this point I'm kind of freaking out then just go for recovery mode, get there, get the same results as I would I booted normally. The only difference is the words "safe mode" appear in each corner. This only last about 2 seconds before I get a blue screen of death(code below). Try the other 2 safe mode options, same thing. Try last known configuration, directory services restore mode, debug mode all have the same result as my regular boot. None of the options made a difference.

After that I decide to see if loading recovery mode from my xp cd would work. Here's what I tried:
    This : http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp didn't work, I know there's a typos I fixed them.
    Bootcfg / rebuild etc nothing
    Fix boot didn't work either
    Chkdsk, chkdsk /p, chkdsk /r the first two didn't show anything but /r is currently running and it's taking a while, kind of have my fingers crossed.

I don't know much about commands so that's all i could do. I googled endlessly and no solution was found. This totally blows.

I'm seriously freaking the hell out. I need this computer for school and the semester just started!!! The had was replaced less then 2 years ago so I don't think it's that. I have so much data in there that I can't afford to lose, that's the most important part :(
    Someone please help me out! If I take out the had and use a sata/IDE to USB connector do I have a chance of extracting my files? Help me D:

Bsod code: stop 0x0000008E
    Chkdsk is still running so I'm unable to get the rest, will post tomorrow when it's finished. Thanks everyone.

Any input is appreciated, my semester depends on it.

2. Gorillakid

Gorillakid Thread Starter

I've heard somewhere that ATI drivers need to be removed from hardware before installing new drivers. I don't do this. Could this be the problem? Is it fixable?

3. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Boot up a LIVE Linux cdrom like Ubuntu, with a USB drive plugged in and copy your files with the GUI file manager. It's not so different from Windows except the drives are named differently.

Right click the drive to mount or unmount them if needed.

Then make 2 more backups - don't be the poor sod that comes and whinges that their data is gone...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice