1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen after Windows loading screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bdimag, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

btw, I did do a search and looked through a ton of the posts but couldnt find this specific problem... and in fact I know a way to fix it when it happens.. but I'm more concerned with preventing it from happening...

Heres the setup: 50 computers all exactly the same (hardware/software):
    Dell GX748 (i think thats the #)
    Windows XP sp2
    ATI x300 (i think - Regardless of the exact video card, it uses the ATI Catalyst control center...)

Ok, so i come to a computer - its past the point of screensaver to where windows "turns off" the monitor.. I try and get back in, but the screen remains blank, and is not responding. I'll hold the power button to shut it off, restart it... It will go through the start up process (dell splash, bios info, etc, windows loading screen) then BLANK, and unresponsive.. Now after shutting it down again, i will be prompted about how i want to start windows since it did not start normally.. I'll do safe mode and get in just fine.. The fix is to go to display properties and change the resolution & restart... after that windows starts normally!

So why is this happening?

** I know its not responding because, for one, there are no beeps when there should be (trying to press random buttons while the station is not logged in - CTRL+ALT+DELETE to enter password box), and pressing the power button does not shut it down as it would @ the login screen..

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. bdimag

bdimag Thread Starter

Can't get as far as the logon screen.. so your last 3 links don't apply..

doubt the memory is bad (50 new computers, and this happens randomly on random machines)..

and i dont know why i would try to restore windows -

edit: windows was just installed and the problem has always been there

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!