1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen even in safe mode after Nvidia driver upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alanh, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Cannot boot in safe mode or VGA mode or last known good config after installing an Nvidia 91.xx driver upgrade. Graphics card is an Nvidia Ti4200 AGP card. When trying to do normal windows boot it gets as far as the Windows splash screen , then goes blank forever. In a safe mode boot attempt the last line printed to screen is "WINDOWS/System32/DRIVERS/agp440.sys", then it hangs there forever.

Swapped to a known good Nvidia 6600 graphics card. Same symptoms. 6600 card again proves fine back in its own PC.

Am able to get to windows recovery console using Win XP CD. Disabling and re-enabling NVSvc and agp440 services does not help. chkdsk c: /r found some error and fixed them, but no improvement. The service VgaSave is enabled.

Nvidia tech support says there's nothing about their drivers that should interfere with Windows booting into Safe Mode with VGA graphics. But something has screwed that up.

My win XP Pro CD is SP1, but the pc is at SP2 with all latest updates as aof a few days ago. I do have an SP2 Cd from another pc.

If I could just get to the System Restore screen I could fall back to a good restore point, but no display!! Helllp!

Win xp pro sp2
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard
    Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics card
    Intel P4 2.6 GHz CPU
    1 GB Ram
    Western Digital WDC WD800JD 80 GB SATA HDD
    Thermaltake 430W power supply model XP550NP
    No onboard video
    No pci or other cards installed, just mouse, kybd, two optical drives

2. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Still no progress. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Need to get my PC back up. Is there a log accessible from DOS or REcovery console that would show what offending file is mising or stopping the boot? Can anyone aim me at a Microsoft article on things like this?

3. alanh

alanh Thread Starter

Well, thanks to a post tonight on a different thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/709483-xp-can-t-boot.html
    I recovered everything just as it was prior to the Nvidia driver install corrupting my registry. Turns out there is a way recover to a restore point form recovery console: copy restore point registry hive copies back into the active windows registry in system32\config folder See the link:
    http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1167895,00.html

Note that there are a couple of small differences in the method listed that I found: you cannot specify a new path name when renaming the old registry files to back them up as software.bak and system.bak. Just type ren C:\windows\system32\config\software software.bak
    Simliarly for system. The second difference is is that although windows accepts the new file name software.bak for the rename, but it actually saves it as software.sav

4. Kush6

Kush6

Thank you. Just fohad the same problem - will check this out right now. I have an 8600GT and the drivers were 177.35.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/708878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice