Blank Screen Monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Etang101

I recently bought a Dell computer with a dual monitor display set up. I plugged everything in and seem to only get one monitor that works. the second monitors power button flashes as if it is on but the screen is just black. The computer acts as if both monitors are on and I can drag things to the second monitor, I just can't see them. The monitor that isn't working is a Samsung SyncMaster 943BT. I have been searching for hours on how to fix this. I tried a tech support website but they were going to charge me $130 USD to just look at it. If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated!

Triple6

Rob
Can you tell us exactly which Dell computer you bought? And what graphics card you have? Also what port are you using for the monitor VGA or DVI?

Have you tried switching the two monitors around to see if it's the monitor or the port that isn't working?

Are both monitors plugged into the correct graphics card? If you have both integrated graphics and an add-in graphics card then both monitors need to plugged into the dedicated graphics.

Etang101

Can you tell us exactly which Dell computer you bought? And what graphics card you have? Also what port are you using for the monitor VGA or DVI?

Have you tried switching the two monitors around to see if it's the monitor or the port that isn't working?

Are both monitors plugged into the correct graphics card? If you have both integrated graphics and an add-in graphics card then both monitors need to plugged into the dedicated graphics.

It's a Dell Optiplex 780, I believe DVI is what cords I was given, I'm not sure about the graphics card. I can attach a link to the product that I bought on amazon to see if it will help you at all.

Dell OptiPlex 780 Desktop Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 250GB HDD Windows 10 Dual Monitor Computer Package https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FE8IWI4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_63fTxb4AHYKDR

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on your Dell OptiPlex 780?

You appear to have the smaller desktop or small form factor case model instead of the larger minitower model.

I'm very familiar with the Dell OptiPlex 780 because I own 3 of the minitower models.

Unless the seller installed a graphics card, it comes with a 15-pin VGA port for installing a monitor.

I see a red flag because of the price you paid for that Dell with 2 monitors and with Windows 10 64-bit and it supposedly being refurbished.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Etang101

What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on your Dell OptiPlex 780?

You appear to have the smaller desktop or small form factor case model instead of the larger minitower model.

I'm very familiar with the Dell OptiPlex 780 because I own 3 of the minitower models.

Unless the seller installed a graphics card, it comes with a 15-pin VGA port for installing a monitor.

I'm also surprised to see the seller sold it with Windows 10 64-bit because it's a several years old model.

This may sound rather dumb, but how do I figure theverything service number out? I'm not exactly the smartest when it comes to computers.

I think they installed the graphics card because all I had to do was plug in cords when I got the computer and monitors.

I have no idea honestly how to check anything on it. And I won't be able to until I get home from work in about 5 hours.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Please re-read post #4 because I've edited it.

Those numbers are on labels on the case of every Dell computer.

Submitting a photo of the rear of the case so we can see what the ports look like would be very helpful.

Etang101

I will attempt to take a picture on my lunch in a couple hours.

How do you see a red flag?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
How do you see a red flag?
I doubt that an authorized Microsoft refurbisher will sell a Dell OptiPlex 780 with Windows 10 64-bit.
I doubt that an authorized Microsoft refurbisher will sell a Dell OptiPlex 780 with 2 LCD 19" monitors for $200.
I may be wrong, but it throws up a red flag to me.
I will attempt to take a picture on my lunch in a couple hours.
Okay, good.
Don't forget about the numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------

IF I am understanding it right, they shipped it with two monitors and maybe a VGA splitter cable which would only allow it to show the same thing on each monitor?? Unless it has a display port to VGA splitter? Or one of the monitors have a display port input. I have a dual monitor set up at work but one is hooked to the VGA (blue) and the other to DVI(White).
Maybe this will help: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297870/en

Last edited:

Etang101

IF I am understanding it right, they shipped it with two monitors and maybe a VGA splitter cable which would only allow it to show the same thing on each monitor?? Unless it has a display port to VGA splitter? Or one of the monitors have a display port input. I have a dual monitor set up at work but one is hooked to the VGA (blue) and the other to DVI(White).
Maybe this will help: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297870/en
I will be taking a picture in about an hour and a half of the whole set up so that people can see what I have.

I have read through that whole support article already with no luck, thankso though.

Etang101

I doubt that an authorized Microsoft refurbisher will sell a Dell OptiPlex 780 with Windows 10 64-bit.
I doubt that an authorized Microsoft refurbisher will sell a Dell OptiPlex 780 with 2 LCD 19" monitors for $200.
I may be wrong, but it throws up a red flag to me.

Okay, good.
Don't forget about the numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------
20160817_121036.jpg 20160817_121034.jpg

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
I've deleted the picture with your Windows 10 license key on it, you don't want someone stealing your key. In any case that's a legit refurbisher's key.

According to the pictures you posted you have a graphics card with the DMS-59 connector that splits into two separate ports and VGA cables going to each monitor.

So here's what you need to check. For all tests you need to log into Windows, Windows keeps the second monitor off most of the time until you log in.
1) Go into Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters section, tell us what it lists there. Also make sure the graphics card that is listed is not Disabled, if it is disabled then you need to enable it.
2) On the monitor that doesn't work, find the Input button and make sure its set for VGA and not DVI.
3) Right click on the desktop and go to Display Settings, doe sit show one or two monitors? If two then you just need to enable the second monitor, you probably want the Extended option.
4) Using the cables from the working monitor, connect the non working monitor to those cables and see if it works.

Etang101

I've deleted the picture with your Windows 10 license key on it, you don't want someone stealing your key. In any case that's a legit refurbisher's key.

According to the pictures you posted you have a graphics card with the DMS-59 connector that splits into two separate ports and VGA cables going to each monitor.

So here's what you need to check. For all tests you need to log into Windows, Windows keeps the second monitor off most of the time until you log in.
1) Go into Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters section, tell us what it lists there. Also make sure the graphics card that is listed is not Disabled, if it is disabled then you need to enable it.
2) On the monitor that doesn't work, find the Input button and make sure its set for VGA and not DVI.
3) Right click on the desktop and go to Display Settings, doe sit show one or two monitors? If two then you just need to enable the second monitor, you probably want the Extended option.
4) Using the cables from the working monitor, connect the non working monitor to those cables and see if it works.
Thank you, I didn't realize I had even posted that picture.

As far as the monitor itself goes, nothing appears on the screen whatsoever. I already have the display extended to both monitors. I have switched every cable and checked all those things except the first one (which I will have to do when I get back to it around 2:30 as I am back at work now). The power light blinks blue no matter what but it's as of the screen itself is always shut off. I have no idea if I am explaining myself well enough. If you need me to answer something that I haven't yet answered please ask me. It's rather frustrating that I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks

Etang101

Not sure what to go through here. Let me know.

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You need to expand that Display Adapters heading so we can see what device(s) are listed in it, and if of them are disabled.

upload_2016-8-17_16-11-33.png

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online