1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BLANK SCREEN: No signal going to monitor (Brand New i7-4790k + GA Z97X-UD3H) - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dexterity83, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dexterity83

dexterity83 Thread Starter

I'm very new to the PC-building world. I decided to buy some new hardware. My previous computer had an AMD motherboard and CPU and I wanted to make the switch over to Intel. Here are my system specs, starting with the new hardware I just bought, followed by the existing hardware I intended to keep (for the time being):

!NEW!
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H (LGA 1150 socket)
    Processor (CPU): i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz
    Power Supply: Coolmax 700W (CU-700B)
    Memory (RAM): 16GB (2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix [2 x BLS4G3D1609DS1S00] + 1 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix [BLS8G3D1609DS1S00])
    Case/Chassis: Corsair Carbide Series 300R

-KEEPS-
    Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
    Hard Drive 1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS (7200RPM)
    Hard Drive 2: 3TB Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX
    Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc Rewriter (LG BH14NS40)
    Monitor: 23" LG W2353V
    Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit) Service Pack 1

My problem is that after all is said and done, with every part hooked up to the power supply and motherboard, all the fans spinning, all the LED's displaying fine, I still get absolutely no signal going from the computer to the monitor when I turn it on. When I unhook the DVI cable from the video card, a message on my monitor says "Check Signal Cable", meaning it knows that it's disconnected. But then when I plug it back in, that message goes away and it returns to "Power Saving Mode", meaning it at least recognizes that it's plugged into the video card. It just doesn't send a signal to the monitor when the computer is turned on. So I figured it must be the motherboard. But even when I plug the DVI cable into the DVI port on the motherboard, I get the exact same results. The computer sounds like it's performing fine when it's on, but the monitor is always blank. Nothing is getting from the computer to the monitor. I've checked every cable: the ATX cables, the CPU fan cable, the system fan cables, the PCI-E cables for the video card, and all the SATA cables. Everything is hooked up exactly as they're supposed to be. I've read every instruction manual, been to countless other websites searching for a possible solution, and after 5 agonizing days of this, I am completely out of moves.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or solutions any of you might have.

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

take out EVGA card
    connect DVI to I/O port
    checking out that you have DVI and not DVI adapter connection
    Integrated Graphics Processor - Intel® HD Graphics support:

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of [email protected]
    2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of [email protected]
      * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter
    You MAY have to set firmware to boot from integrated graphics but that is unlikely after uninstalling card
    If it still does not show a screen on post then either the cable is bad OR there is a hardware fault or error in build

3. Macboatmaster

Also try taking out the 8GB stick of ram and put the two 4GB sticks in dual channel set up

Actually that may be the FIRST aspect to try

I do not know how I missed this, but if it has never posted how have you installed Windows 7
    If you have simply put the hard drive with Windows 7 installed from the other motherboard - it is never going to load Windows on this motherboard as all the drivers are of course for the other board and processor chipset lan etc

However that should not stop it posting.
    It may be worthwhile disconnecting the hard drive with the OS on and see if it then posts

4. dexterity83

I tried everything you suggested, but nothing has changed. It's still a blank screen every time.

5. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

6. dexterity83

It's the top one on the list.

7. Macboatmaster

The one listed on the CPU support list is i7 4790K
    You have shown the CPU as

However if it is the i7 4790K then that is supported only from BIOS F6 on rev 1.0
    http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

The latest BIOS is F7 which of course includes changes made on F6

It MAYBE that you will have to flash the BIOS

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=14685.0

using QFlash page 80 of your MB manual

of course if you cannot even get a post then you cannot proceed that far

Therefore IF the BIOS version is the cause of the failure to even post AND I would contact Gigabyte and have them confirm that the lack of POST could be the BIOS issue on that board and processor - then you will have to flash with a compatible processor

My research shows that it may indeed require the BIOS flash - IF it is the 4790K that is the Devils Canyon as against the Haswell Refresh
    Motherboards with the Z97 chipset will boot without a BIOS flash on Intel processors of the Haswell family

On the other hand the new Intel 9 series motherboards will work with ANY Haswell CPU whether its Haswell refresh or Original Haswell. These are the Intel 9 series chipsets, these will work with ANY CPU without a BIOS update.
    H97
    Z97

so if I am correct the i7-4790 would have been OK albeit you would need a BIOS flash to enable its full potential
    but the i7-4790K will not as it is the further development of the 4th generation processors

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/271a81/psa_stop_combining_intel_8_series_with_the_new/

HOWEVER my strong advice is to contact Gigabyte before you proceed.

8. dexterity83

Yes, that was a typo on my part. Very sorry about that. Mine is the i7-4790k.

9. replay

replay

you built a nice computer BUT u cheaped out on the power supply...see here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159089
    if u scroll down and read u will see people are not to happy with it!!!!
    in your position i would take the mobo out of the case and do the "on the bench" build (on the mobo box)
    as mentioned take the 8gb stick out and install the 4 gb sticks ib the black OR the grey slots

***also check that u have installed the heatsink correctly****

10. Macboatmaster

If you ARE sure all connections are made correctly I endorse the suggestion above
    I also repeat what I said before although it should not prevent a post - that hard drive with 7 from the old MB is never going to run without many changes on this board

I also would stress that Gigabyte are the people to assure you that the CPU will work to post without a BIOS flash

As the link I have sent you explains some CPUs will not even allow a board to post without a BIOS flash

11. dexterity83

So I decided to take my newly-built PC to a computer repair shop. But after a couple of days, they couldn't figure out the problem. So I took it to a 2nd computer repair shop. But they, too, couldn't figure out the problem. So rather than pay a third person to tell me the same bad news, I've decided to disassemble my new computer, return the old parts to my old desktop setup, return the new parts I bought to the stores that accept returns, and try to sell the parts that can't be returned, to try to make back some of the money I've lost. And when I re-save up some money again, I'm just going to buy a ready-made computer. This PC building just isn't for me.

But I want to thank you all for your help and for looking into this matter for me. I do appreciate it and will definitely come here if I have any problems in the future!

12. Macboatmaster

Well it certainly is not god news, but perhaps it is the best resolution in the circumstances

13. Macboatmaster

dexterity

re my post regarding malwarebytes of which you will have received the notification - but I have now deleted from here

Please accept my apologies I posted it on the wrong topic.

I had multiple windows open and picked the wrong one.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice