1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blank screen on reboot for Check Disk task

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by weybrew, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weybrew

weybrew Thread Starter

I want to run Check Disk on my C: drive (Windows 7,32). Each time I try to set it up I get a warning message that I cannot check this drive while in use and I must schedule this task upon reboot. When I do the reboot my computer looks as if it is starting normally but once the Toshiba splash screen closes I am left with a black screen... no cursor, no dialog, nothing. And all function is frozen. Is this what I am supposed to see (or not see)? After waiting a few minutes I assumed that I had a crash so I unplugged the computer. I managed to reboot with a recovery disk and restored from a disk image.

My question is about how the Check Disk should be working. If I had waited long enough, would the boot have continued after the task had completed? Was I just impatient? Please educate me.

TSG SysInfo...Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2939 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1341 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 236971 MB, Free - 65312 MB; F: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 254310 MB; J: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1441675 MB; K: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 269059 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Each time I try to set it up I get a warning message that I cannot check this drive while in use and I must schedule this task upon reboot. This is normal, but are you typing in 'y' at the prompt?

What isn't normal is to see a blank screen when the disk check should be running, you should see a load of white text appear on a black background showing the progress of the scan.

Why do you feel the need to run Disk Check?

Are you experiencing any performance issues?

3. weybrew

weybrew Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Mark1956. I did click on the "schedule task upon reboot" button... no Y to click. I thought I should be seeing the black/white text screen. I was going to run the Disk Check because my backup program (Macrium Reflect) failed to run the last 2 backups with a "disk error... could not read disk" msg. And I have been having multiple crashes the last 2 days.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Try running the disk check using this method and tell me what happens.

Disk Check

• Click on Start then type cmd in the search box. A menu will pop up with cmd at the top, right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Another box will open, at the prompt type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Note: you must include a space between the k and the /
    • You will then see the following message:
      chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
    • Type Y for yes, and hit Enter. Then reboot the computer.
    • chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish, if it appears to freeze this is normal so do not interrupt it. On drives above 500GB it can take several hours.)
    • When the Disk Check is done, it will finish loading Windows.

Then follow this guide to find the chkdsk log. NOTE: You need to do the search for wininit not chkdsk.
    Windows 7 Disk Check log

Once the log is in view then click on Copy in the right hand pane and select "Copy details as text".
    You can then right click on the message box on this forum and select Paste and the log will appear, add any further information asked for and then click on Submit/Post Quick Reply and your done.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice