1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank screen or not responding

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vaguehippo, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaguehippo

vaguehippo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year.

I am running:
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit - pre-installed.
    Service Pack 2
    Acer Aspire M3641
    Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4 GHz
    4 GB RAM

My computer only works in safe mode or safe mode with networking. It ceased working normally on 22nd December 2012. It has for the last 9 months had a problem where it would hang after I gave it a command so I'd press; control-alt-delete then after I had asked for task Manager it would then make the requested program work normally and all seemed well.

The other day when I pressed control-alt-delete after it has failed to respond it just went to a blank screen...kinda black with a bit of light on it and stayed there. After about 10 mins I forced it to shut down. When I rebooted it went to the log in screen, after login it stayed on the welcome screen with the little wheel going round and round then after about 20 mins I forced it to shut down and tried rebooting again...from DOS I selected reboot normally and the same thing happened although this time it went through to desktop but nothing would respond to the mouse of the keyboard...the curser moves about ok, all the lights are on and respond to switches etc on the key board but the on-screen icons do not respond.

I eventually got Norton to work and tried autofix but it gave an error coded 3047, 40000 which is probably just Norton speak...it went into its own autofix mode and after 8 hours (I went to bed) it went to blank screen again whereupon nothing happened at all so I shut it down.

Via the F8 key I have tried the autofix, rebooting to a time before when it worked (have done this 4 times to different dates), I have tried a number of different options in F8 mode and the sub modes wizard you get but none of them has made it work properly in standard mode with nothing responding.

I might buy a new drive with windows 7 pre-installed or separate whatever is more convenient/cheapest etc and use it as my primary drive and the existing drive as my secondary drive and then use my new drive to sort out whatever is wrong with the old one but because I think itÂ’s the OS anyway probably it won't matter by that point.

However if there are any geniuses out there who might know how I could resolve this then I am all ears and eyes of course as well.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

2. mel8again

mel8again

If a computer works in Safe Mode then it is usually a hardware conflict. Have you made any changes or added any hardware in the last nine months?

3. vaguehippo

vaguehippo Thread Starter

hmmm non that i can think of...I've always had my printer, camera, adobe stuff but that's software anyway...the only thing i have done in the last month is download the latest iTunes...on the system restore option I took it back to a point before then anyway and it still didn't work.

A few hours ago i thought it was going to recover as i booted it in normal mode and all seemed good - I was able to get task manager working it even started to install Norton updates but then it stopped and hung forever - but i cd see in task manager that the processor was not doing anything at all.

4. dai

dai

first suspect would be the power supply

what does the bios list for the 12v line voltage

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice