1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blank Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SKreme, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

One day the screen connected to my desktop would not work. When I turn on the computer, it sounds like it is powering up and the LED lights blink but nothing appears on the screen. I tried multiple screens and cables, tried the screen both plugged into the video card and plugged into the motherboard itself (which has built in VGA/DVI). Finally, I tried swapping out the motherboard for a new one. Same problem remains. Anyone have an idea what the problem would be? Is the issue the processor?

EDIT: To clarify, the screen works fine when plugged into another computer so it is clearly the PC that is a problem, not the monitor.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    What kind of PSU do you have in that computer?

3. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

4. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

The power supply did sound like it was on and working.

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    How long have you had this case?

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  7. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I've had the case and PSU for a while, but why would it be the PSU if the power supply sounds like it is on? Could it still be the PSU?

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Yes, it could still be the PSU. Do you have a known good PSU you can borrow to check out your system?

9. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I should have an extra somewhere... Need to go dig it up.

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    The reason I asked you the age of that case is it does have a 3 year warranty which should include that PSU.

11. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I'm past 3 years. I think it's closer to 4 at this point.

12. empty213

empty213

Run memtest86+ on all your RAM sticks to make sure it's not your RAM. if it passes then good, if it has errors then it is probably a faulty RAM, or RAM that became faulty over the years.

13. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

Turns out the power supply I had sitting around does not support SATA or the four pin power for CPU... Must have been from a really old machine. So I don't have any way to test if it was the power supply without buying a new one. Nor do I know how to test the RAM... How do I run a test on them if the computer doesn't show anything on the screen. Any tips would be appreciated.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice