Blank Screen Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SKreme

One day the screen connected to my desktop would not work. When I turn on the computer, it sounds like it is powering up and the LED lights blink but nothing appears on the screen. I tried multiple screens and cables, tried the screen both plugged into the video card and plugged into the motherboard itself (which has built in VGA/DVI). Finally, I tried swapping out the motherboard for a new one. Same problem remains. Anyone have an idea what the problem would be? Is the issue the processor?

EDIT: To clarify, the screen works fine when plugged into another computer so it is clearly the PC that is a problem, not the monitor.

SKreme

I've had the case and PSU for a while, but why would it be the PSU if the power supply sounds like it is on? Could it still be the PSU?

Yes, it could still be the PSU. Do you have a known good PSU you can borrow to check out your system?

The reason I asked you the age of that case is it does have a 3 year warranty which should include that PSU.

Run memtest86+ on all your RAM sticks to make sure it's not your RAM. if it passes then good, if it has errors then it is probably a faulty RAM, or RAM that became faulty over the years.

SKreme

Turns out the power supply I had sitting around does not support SATA or the four pin power for CPU... Must have been from a really old machine. So I don't have any way to test if it was the power supply without buying a new one. Nor do I know how to test the RAM... How do I run a test on them if the computer doesn't show anything on the screen. Any tips would be appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online